Movies & TV

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by cerise, Aug 29, 2013.

1. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Watched any good movies lately?  Any TV shows you're "hooked" on? 

2. scrappycoco

scrappycoco

Exp:
    At home cook
    Not so much. This summer has been kind of dry when it comes to TV shows. I can't say I've seen any fantastic new movies either. I missed out on Iron Man 3 though and I've heard it was pretty good. We went to see RIPD...wasn't too into it. Another movie that shows the best moments in the trailer.

3. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm addicted to tv series - we get stuff late, and lots of reruns - I had been watching Homeland in the spring (I like its complexity and ambiguity - one of my favorites) and waiting for the next season of it, and also waiting for the next series of Mad Men - i hate most of the characters but i like the reconstructions, esp in the first season, of the horrors of growing up in the 50s, when i was a kid, and what working in an office meant for women.  Currently watching Downton Abbey, Modern Family, Big Bang, reruns i never saw of Law and Order Criminal Intent, Burn Notice (not great but entertaining),

My favorites in the past have been Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, Spooks (in the US called MI5), Episodes, Boston Legal - all really good,  

I think the last time i went to a movie was over a year ago and saw a couple of Turkish films of all things - But most films here are dubbed into italian and i can';t stand dubbing, they only seem to have 5 dubbers and everyone sounds the same and much of the translation is bad,  and i don't really like being closed up in a movie theater for an hour or more. 

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Waiting for  season 4  of Downton Abbey. (January 4th is still a long way off, but I'm waiting)

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I haven't even seen all of season 1! 

6. scrappycoco

scrappycoco

Exp:
    At home cook
    I love Modern Family, I can't wait until it comes back on in 2 weeks...it will certainly make Wednesday nights a lot more interesting. I used to watch the Middle too, but I think it has lost its flare a bit. Oh well.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Resurrecting this thread.

I have thousands of satellite channels and an infinite amt of on demand offerings yet still cannot find anything to watch.

Finished with Scandal, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, Portlandia.

Keeping up with Nurse Jackie.

Checked out Penny Dreadful.... watched every episode (may have more to do with the Dorian Gray actor who is very easy on the eyes than anything else lol) in one sitting yesterday (had plans to wash windows but there was a 1% chance of rain lol   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Still waiting for Supernatural Season 9... refuse to add Hulu when I already have Netflix.......
    My DVR failed me on this one so will have to be patient.

Huge irritation that ATT only keeps the episodes for a few weeks then deletes them.

ISO good series that have a few seasons behind them.

Anyone?

mimi

8. dreamshards8

dreamshards8

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Deadwood is the best, and is the last series that I've religiously watched. I wish they would have made more seasons, same with "rome". Both are amazing HBO shows and if you haven't seen them you must!

9. dreamshards8

dreamshards8

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I've also been trying to keep up with Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown", especially since he did an episode with Pok Pok's Andy Ricker who I admire but I just can't get into it for a long period of time lately. I think his voice puts me to sleep or something. 

10. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Same here, I like the series, and Bourdain is beginning to grow on me, never really liked him before.

We haven't used our tv for cable in almost 5 years, we only use it for DVD's and VHS, so we don't get any of the current shows. I don't know if it's just me, but wonder if some folks think most of the shows out there are idiotic, and immature. Don't get me wrong, I watch my share of trash "tv" online and on netflix, but some of the shows people think are funny to me are so infuriating stupid and insulting to the viewer.. I especially hate how men and women, and their relationships are portrayed. I definitely don't have the kind of sense of humor to appreciate today's comedies, whether in shows or movies.

11. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    @Pollopicu. My sentiments exactly. This is why I am having such a hard time finding something of interest.
    It's not like I don't have plenty to keep myself occupied but need to sit or recline every hour or so to rest my back (never let yourself be talked into a spinal fusion) and apply heat or cold.
    It is during that time I like to watch the tube.
    Much easier to pass the time than reading which requires some level of concentration.
    After twenty min or so I am able to continue with whatever I was in the middle of.
    @dreamshards8 I remember Deadwood. Kinda got into it then just stopped watching.
    May give it another shot.

mimi

12. sammysaute

sammysaute

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We just watch DVDs now and I think that's made me more choosy about what I watch and I don't have the patience for some of these shows.

I did enjoy Mad Men and even some of Game of Thrones, but that was a bit too violent for me, I ended up spending about 70% of the show with my face on a cushion :)

13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    So Mr Saute....

Any good movies to recommend?

I will watch just about anything.

mimi

14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook