Moussaka, but not so greasy

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by malca, Jun 2, 2010.

1. malca

malca

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've made moussaka with eggplant and ground lamb.  It was fine for a 1st attempt, but oh so greasy/fatty...

Next time, I won't fry the eggplant.  Any other ideas???

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    fry and drain the lamb before adding eggplant then fry a bit more? it should help.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  3. free rider

free rider

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I make a vegetarian "moussaka" and frying the eggplant makes it very greasy.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Are you sure its the eggplant and not the Bechamel sauce that is giving that greasy ..... ?

It would be nice to  know your recipe and technique.....

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A traditional recipe for moussaka requires that you pan fry the potatoes and eggplant before assembling the dish.  Obviously this will make it greasy.  I do several things to ensure that my moussaka will be light and healthy.

-First, I use both eggplant and zucchini.  The zucchini helps lighten up the dish as eggplant can be very filling.

- Next I brush the eggplant and zucchini slices with olive oil and salt and bake in the oven, flip and brush again on the other side and bake again.  This helps release a lot of moisture, and the zucchini takes much longer to cook than the eggplant.

- I use raw sliced potatoes.  Grease the bottom of the pan just a little bit and then arrange them.  When they are raw they are able to absorb a lot of the dripping oil from the meat sauce and that way the dish is less greasy.

- When making the meat sauce, sear the meat, cook it through and then drain for 5 minutes.  I use beef because lamb is too fatty anyway.  Once the meat is drained put back into the pan and continue making your sauce.

-I don't do this but my Mother does - use low fat milk to make the bechamel.  You have to use a little more flour than the typical flour/butter ratio but it comes out tasty, especially if you add plenty of nutmeg.

6. malca

malca

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you for taking the time to write all this.

Your tips are extremely useful.