Moussaka, but not so greasy

Joined Jun 21, 2009
I've made moussaka with eggplant and ground lamb.  It was fine for a 1st attempt, but oh so greasy/fatty...

Next time, I won't fry the eggplant.  Any other ideas???

Joined Apr 3, 2008
fry and drain the lamb before adding eggplant then fry a bit more? it should help.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 25, 2009
Are you sure its the eggplant and not the Bechamel sauce that is giving that greasy ..... ?

It would be nice to  know your recipe and technique.....

Joined Apr 3, 2008
A traditional recipe for moussaka requires that you pan fry the potatoes and eggplant before assembling the dish.  Obviously this will make it greasy.  I do several things to ensure that my moussaka will be light and healthy.

-First, I use both eggplant and zucchini.  The zucchini helps lighten up the dish as eggplant can be very filling.

- Next I brush the eggplant and zucchini slices with olive oil and salt and bake in the oven, flip and brush again on the other side and bake again.  This helps release a lot of moisture, and the zucchini takes much longer to cook than the eggplant.

- I use raw sliced potatoes.  Grease the bottom of the pan just a little bit and then arrange them.  When they are raw they are able to absorb a lot of the dripping oil from the meat sauce and that way the dish is less greasy.

- When making the meat sauce, sear the meat, cook it through and then drain for 5 minutes.  I use beef because lamb is too fatty anyway.  Once the meat is drained put back into the pan and continue making your sauce.

-I don't do this but my Mother does - use low fat milk to make the bechamel.  You have to use a little more flour than the typical flour/butter ratio but it comes out tasty, especially if you add plenty of nutmeg.

Joined Jun 21, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write all this.

Your tips are extremely useful.

Top Bottom