Most ridiculous complaint that you've heard recently?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by prairiechef, Jan 12, 2011.

1. skipstrr

skipstrr

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    agreed!!!! but still funny with the curry...just goes to show....fake foodies are all over & have the worst pallet!

2. powerviolence

powerviolence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I used to work at this quaint cuban cafe. It was a small mom and pop place so from the kitchen window you could see the whole dining room and even hear the servers interacting with customers. 

I heard this woman ask for Roasted Pork, "I don't want any of the Plantations" 

Not really a complaint but... yeah know. 

At my current job on our lunch menu we have a simple pasta dish. Grape tomato and broccoli sauteed in olive oil with some linguine. Pretty basic. 

She asked if we could make it without oil and/or butter and no tomato... 

Sent it back because it was "Dry and boring" Hmm Then ordered a Reuben with no Meat extra kraut. 

Also the same lady who used to come in order Grouper from the lunch menu, ate it every time, and always complained. And even got into an argument with the Executive Chef about how it was not even grouper once. She comes 3x a week and is a vegetarian!  

3. messyj25

messyj25

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Not a complaint but my favorite ticket a server ever sent me was for a burger cooked half rare and half well done... I thought it was a joke, but nope...

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    @ PV..... sounds like a chronic dieter/bulimic  (does this brownie make me look fat?) Check her fingernails....if they look ragged (stomach acid does a number on the nails and teeth) then she is looking for something that doesn't burn when it comes back up.

Don't be surprised if she is a bit chubby in appearence just her metabolisam slowing down to prevent starvation.

mimi

5. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    MessyJ25, I'm assuming two people were splitting that burger (otherwise you might be dealing with a split personality!) I had a friend of mine come in where I was working and as a joke ordered a burger  well done on the inside and rare on the outside. I did it. I took two hamburger patties and cooked them both on one side. Pulled off the grill, stacked together with cooked sides in and pressed the edges together. Then I grilled lightly on both sides. Should have seen the look on his face when he got it.

6. travlemagne

travlemagne

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Not a complaint but one of the funniest requests I have ever heard:

Customer to server:

"Hmmm, I'm thinking about the pork medallions, but I'm Jewish and eating kosher. So let the chef know I need it well done."

I complemented the server on keeping a straight face throughout and turned those otherwise juicy medallions into a trio of sad hockey pucks.  The table came up after dinner and told me how wonderful everything was and the woman added a special thank you for attending to her dietary restrictions per her religion.  Now, I am not a religious man, but, I am under the impression that whether the pig arrives at the table pink, cute, and wearing a Babe in the City necklace or as a near pile of funerary ashes it is not a kosher meal permissible to consume.  But these are the things we do to keep the tables full /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

davehriver likes this.
  7. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oh last week a women order filet mignon , but she wanted it rare ( but not pink in the middle ) <_< 

It was bordering well done , and she was happy XD 

8. greg reynolds

greg reynolds

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about a "pink" but well done Ribeye?

davehriver likes this.
  9. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    Vegetarian order corned beef hash... ate part of it then asked the server if there was beef in it...

10. fbindustry

fbindustry

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    We recently got blasted in an email that we would/could not create a five course personalized vegetarian menu for New Year's Eve this year.  Mind you, there is a vegetarian course offered for each of our five courses on our NYE menu......they wanted to essentially create THEIR OWN five course menu for their four person party and could not comprehend why we wouldn't let them do so.....they then went on and ranted that they hope we go out of business.   

11. powerviolence

powerviolence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Rare Ribeye. SEnt back because it was underdone. Uh bone in rare? pfft

A lady complained that the soup was to hot, and we must have microwaved it. Of course we don't have any microwaves. Temped it, @169 my favorite  soup holding temp. 

12. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Foie gras seemed "fatty". Weve been getting a lot of steaks ordered mr plus or medium plus. I usually have to pull out my magic wand to achieve these imagenary temps.

dmcropper likes this.
  13. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Im allergic to chocolate ice cream, can I get vanilla instead with chocolate sauce on top?

14. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     That was downright RUDE.....come on....no loss on that customer then ;) 

15. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Golden opportunity to cater a small party!

m.

16. cowboy

cowboy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had a customer tell me a perfect slice of medium rare prime rib didnt taste like beef...how does one achieve that!!!

17. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We recently got blasted in an email that we would/could not create a five course personalized vegetarian menu for New Year's Eve this year. Mind you, there is a vegetarian course offered for each of our five courses on our NYE menu......they wanted to essentially create THEIR OWN five course menu for their four person party and could not comprehend why we wouldn't let them do so.....they then went on and ranted that they hope we go out of business.

Perfect opportunity to put yourself out of business catering to idiots on the busiest night of the year.

18. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had guests do this to me in the middle of New Years Eve dinner service with no advance notice. I usually had 3 or 4 vegetarian options on my weekly changing menu, with 1 being vegan, so I guess they figured it wouldn't be a big deal. That and I was known for creating dishes on the spur of the moment all the time at customers requests. It wasn't a big deal, because I didn't let it be one. Flying by the seat of my pants is my favorite way to travel. Yeehaw!!!

flipflopgirl likes this.
  20. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oddly enough i too , am starting to enjoy this.

Deal with these sorta things like the duck games at carnavals.... shoot those ducks quickly to get a prize :p ( the prize in this case is the kudoos )/img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif