Most ridiculous complaint that you've heard recently?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by prairiechef, Jan 12, 2011.

1. momandchef

momandchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hey, I'll take a "too strong" Manhattan over a watery one EVERY DAY.

I had an older lady tell me yesterday that she didn't like the look of our creamers (they are just very simple white ones) and that it just totally ruined her whole experience. The little cream pitcher for her tea ruined everything for her. But of course she cleaned her plate and hung out for like 2 hours gabbing with her friend.

Saturday I had an order come in for a grilled cheese on our sourdough bread but asked if I could "not grill the bread because it is too crunchy when it is grilled". So I asked the server "She wants an un-grilled grilled cheese sandwich?" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

2. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This happened to me last week:

"I want my steak well done... Very well done" Says the customer....

The customer left a comment in our comments book... "Everything was excellent... But my steak was a bit too dry" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif   

Man!! What were you expecting???.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

3. digitalluke

digitalluke

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    got to love complaints, had most of them in my time, have a few my self but more like stupid question i guess.

are the beef tomatos vegi?

is there dairy in my bread and butter pudding

my braised beef is to welldone! geez this one creeps up time to time lol

and how can i forget why is my chilled soup(gazpacho) cold and i noted is was on the menu as chilled

got to love the kitchens! 

4. chefcash

chefcash

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    my fish is too fishy

the gluten allergy... i get this one atleast once a week... most of our preped sauces have gluten products...

the shellfish allergy WHEN ITS A CRAB BASED MENU! why are you here?

ignorant customers and their idea of steak temps

"can i get my calimari with less testicles"

and my all time favorite

" i know i ordered raw oysters but i didnt know they were really raw... i though that was just the name, like raaaaw oysters"

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A customer orders Creme' Brulee  sends it back because there is no cream.????????

Orders Beef Strogonoff sends it back because she does not like mushrooms????

Sends back French Onion Soup served in crock  Why?  She is alergic to cheese?????

He didn't like the soup ,and the last time did not like the pizza??? We have never served or sold Pizza????

O N L Y         I N        A M E R I C A

6. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chef that may be your all time favorite, but I really think you should reconsider ""can i get my calimari with less testicles"

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny..... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

7. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    you got anything without so much Crab in it?

Well, we got the Crab, Eggs and Crab, that's doesn't got so much Crab in it./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    customer.

Hello,

I made a special trip to return these.  I just thought you would want to know. I brought home some of those briskity cookies and my family said  they were stale.

Your things are always so good.

I told her I knew who made the biscotti and I was going to let her go in the morning.

skipstrr likes this.
  9. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last night, customer complains that the pasta was cold but the sauce was hot.

Another time I made babyback ribs for a member's banquet. After the function a guy pulls me aside and says:

"Don't lie to me. Did you boil those ribs?"

No I did not. They were started on the grill & then slow roasted for about 3 1/2 hours.

"I'm not stupid you know. Did you see how easily the meat came off the bone? The ribs shouldn't be like that. If you cook them the right way you need to bite into it & pull the meat away from the bones."

Sometimes you just can't win.

florentgb likes this.
  10. transchef

transchef

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    "Last night, customer complains that the pasta was cold but the sauce was hot."

I would complain too if the pasta was cold and precooked and served with hot sauce on top. I don't know if the Italian chef instructor was BSing us when she said that pasta should be from boiling water directly to the pan of sauce to finish cooking without flame and that the pasta should not be washed or totally drained and should still carry some hot water where it is boiled that should also taste like ocean. I tried. It worked. No salting needed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  11. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Unfortunately we do pre-cook pasta for a la carte service. In this case It was a party of 30 with family style pasta course. We boiled the penne fresh for the party. The complaint came from one person only.

12. deepakp

deepakp

Exp:
    Other
    so plz ready to shave your head.........

13. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I loved the comment about the ribs. Food is so subjective and everybody thinks their way IS the only way.

14. cookitup

cookitup

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Check this out for hilarity.. Now thats a fussy customer!

What would you do?

15. beerconsomme

beerconsomme

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Had a guy order a steak medium. He also went through the trouble to define medium to the kitchen, as it stated on the ticket. "Medium, pink throughout, no red, not dry." Regardless, I cooked him a flawless, perfectly pink steak. Sends it back because it's still red. Cook it off more.  It comes back. Repeat two more times. Apparently, despite him having a perfect understanding of what "medium" means, he actually wanted a well done steak.

Can't please all the people all the time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  16. momandchef

momandchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I want that on a t-shirt. Too Funny!!

17. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bah .. had  stupid one today.. customer asked for a panini with blueberries instead of ham.. then sent it back because there were " mouldy stains on the eggs"... hmm those stains were the blasted blueberries and their juice for crying out loud... I suspect the meal was comped as the customer was sure it was mould...

18. skagitchef

skagitchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Damn that's funny!  Less testicles in my calamari!   Hahahaha!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  19. pcieluck

pcieluck

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Steak request extra extra well is too tough...

20. chefmiller

chefmiller

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wow haha. Diners can be so...uncivilised. My recent best was a diner ordering a steak "very rare," them sending it back because "it was not cooked enough."