Most Expensive Meal

Joined Mar 8, 2007
Probably Aqua in San Francisco. $2400 for 6 people. Chef's tasting menu. I have to admit it was a pretty incredible meal, and the tuna tartare was the best I've ever had (this was Michael Mina's version, it's changed a bit at Aqua now but I hear it can sometimes still be had at his own restaraunts now). Quite a bit of that $2400 was in alcohol though. The table had essentially 2 bottles per course @ 5 courses so it adds up fast.

This was back in my internet venture capital days (i.e. money flowed like water) and was charged to the business, I certainly didn't pick up the bill myself.

Joined Nov 6, 2004
Most expensive for the wife and I is at Le Francais restaurant in Wheeling. We've been there a couple of times under different Chef's and we have always gotten a superb dinning experience. The price has range from $225-275 with no alcoholic beverages.

This has been our benchmark for food and we've yet to find equal or better. The atmosphere leaves a little to be desired (they're still stuck in the 70's look) but the food is good and well prepared. I'm slowly trying different places with well regarded Chef's in Chicago and have so far been underwhelmed. We always get a good meal...it's just fallen a bit short of my expectations.

I'm certainly not rich or well off. But my wife and I do love food. We've got three lovely kids under four and usually eat at home (where we have some pretty decent meals ;)). Bottom line...we rarely eat out like we have when we were younger. Eating out once or twice a year at a nice restaurant is still MUCH cheaper than when we used to eat out a couple of times a week at lower priced places.

happy eating all!
dan

Joined Jan 14, 2007
My teenage son and his girlfriend back in the 1980's had the most expensive meal on Mom once. He took his little girlfriend to a restaurant in St. Louis with $50 in his pocket. The restaurant did not post prices on the menu (should have been his first clue). Of course, they both loved steak and lobster. I got a call around 10 p.m. from him to bring MONEY, lol. I told him that they could offer to wash dishes which he didn't find amusing. I took my time getting there (letting them sweat alittle was kind of funny). I do believe the bill was over $200 if I remember right. Thank goodness they weren't old enough to drink otherwise I think I would have let him wash dishes. Ahh...another lesson of life learned at the tender age of 16, always find out the price before you order. lol.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Don't you wish as a chef that you could get that kind of money for your food?

Joined Jan 14, 2007
After reading all your posts here, along with the other professionals, I would venture to say most of you could not post prices on your menu's and still have a good following. I am constantly blown away by you professionals on this forum...i.e. what you do...what you know, etc. I remain your humble grasshopper. I just wish I had the money not to care about prices.

Joined May 2, 2004
Hi

I was invited last year at the Montréal Delta, the restaurant turns 360 degres, wonderfull view of the city, gosh just two people & 2 btles of wine, the bill was over 350 Can funds.

What a meal and ambiance, I would go back anytime :)

Code:
http://www.deltahotels.com/hotels/hotelinfo.html?categoryId=2&hotelId=35

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I'm flattered Nofifi. Cheftalk is indeed a fantastic board, and I've tried many others.

Joined Jan 14, 2007
Ok, Kuan, you can pay me that 5 bucks now for all those nice things I said about you, lol.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
If you include wine......I remember one mushroom tasting meal where 6 of us had Grange Grunge from 1976, White Bourdeaux, something else and a btl of vintage Yequim......
The food was $100pp the wine I did not pay for nor know what they paid but it had to have been a whole bunch.

Bagwell 2424 (HI) in 1978, $300 for 2. Several meals at Nicolias Roof in Atlanta during the late 1970's-80s.....first you start with the many flavored in house vodkas....
Splurging in New Orleans can take on a whole new meaning.......

My lately departed guy introduced me to fine wines....that's where your ticket can expenitially multiply.....$800+ btl of Margaux 1983 or 4.....
ummmmm old Argmanac.....thank goodness his cellar was deep and wide, guess it helped that his father was an importer.

Dining at An American Place can easily set me back $100 pp.....I actually plan to drop that.

When I dined around Chapel Hill hitting a multitude of restaurants for a mydrid of tastes it was not crazy to drop $50+ per place with 3-4 on that evening's list.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Most expensive for me is about $175 for two people. No alcohol as we don't drink. Once at Christophers with some truly prime beef. The other at Bambara, I had locally grown lamb (Utah raised lamb can be some of the finest), wife had the Muscovy duck. Was very good.

It's hard to hit the kind of numbers you guys are throwing around in this part of the country.

Phil

Joined Aug 11, 2000
If you take wine or alcohol in general out of the equation it's a much lower ticket at the end of the night.

Now I remember why I don't go on vacation often, I'm too busy eating out......

Joined Jan 2, 2007
$450 for 4 at K-Pauls Louisiana Kitchen about 4 years ago. Wine and 3 courses. His blackened Drumfish with mashed potatoes was a dish i'll take to my grave. Well, the taste of it anyway.:lips:

Joined Jul 26, 2004
Back in the 70`s for me to spend $100 to $150 for two for an evening dinning and drinking was nothing. Now I would rather go by the food and enjoy it at home. There are tooo many rip pff now adays

Joined Jul 21, 2006
The most expensive meal I've ever eaten was sadly at Lonestar Steakhouse in Indianapolis. It was definitely not my choice but we were with family and it was a Sunday evening and nothing else was open in that particular area of the city. The total for 2 adults and one child came to $130 which I thought was ridiculous when we had absolutely nothing I could not have made at home for under $40, fed the three of us and still had leftovers for lunch!

I'm a cheapskate I guess but I'd much rather take that money and go to the grocery store or travel to a larger area and go to a more upscale store and buy anything I want then come home and experiment!

Joined Sep 28, 1999
Ate at The French Laundry a couple years ago. My portion of the bill, FOR LUNCH, after tax and tip was $430.

Joined Dec 23, 2006
we were on our honey moon in indonesia just this last month and we splurged on the credit card! $400 for two people including drinks. That may not sound like much but it's hard to rack up that sort of bill in Indonesia! Needless to say it was amazing sitting on the beach sipping fresh margharitas watching the sunset! i had the most amazing blue crab consume for a starter and my new hubby had stuffed zuchhini flowers followed up by some amazing fresh fish salmon and kingfish! Mind you we did go out the next night and sat right in the sand drinking dollar beers and had the freshest snapper that i have ever had BBQ in front of you for an amazing $6 per person! we went back three more times!
Isn't it fuuny how you don't think twice about spending so much money if it is a 'special' ocasion, but if i went to the supermarket and had to fork over $400 in one go i might think twice!

Joined Oct 8, 2004
about $400 Canadian at Lumiere in Vancouver BC for 2 of us. (not including tip)

That was for the Chefs tasting menu with wine flight. Definitely worth it, still the best meal I've ever had.

Had many close to that price now and none have compared.

Joined Apr 5, 2007
For me, a tie:

Signatures, at LCB Ottawa. Pushing $500 for two. We had the full tasting menu with wine selections by course.

About the same cost was Maple, in Halifax when When Chef Smith was there. Again the tasting and wine menu.

Both truely astounding. I think I would give Signatures the edge, just because the wine selections were just as exciting as the food.

--Al

Joined Jun 19, 2007
My then girlfriend and I went to Key West in 1972 and while there asked a local person where a good, romantic restaurant was. He directed us to one and we went. I do not remember the name but it was on the water and had it's own dock for yachts. Big yachts. Very romantic setting. All the waiters had long hair pulled back in ponytails and wore white shorts and white shirts - kinda weird. While I was still looking around my girlfriend picked up her menu and said, "This is weird - there are no prices listed". I picked up mine and mine did have prices listed and my eyes probably popped out when I saw them. I don't even remember what we had but it was great. Bill was about $200.00 before tip and we only had one glass of wine each. We found out later that this place was known for catering to the rich and famous who liked to dock their yachts and dine.

I have spent more on dinner for two (with more wine) since then but I think about how much $200.00 in 1972 would be in today's dollars. A lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom