Morels for dessert

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by fontzmark, Apr 3, 2002.

1. fontzmark

fontzmark

Anyone have any suggestions for using morels in a dessert? I am thinking of a French cheese tart, individual portions in a rustic morel laden tart shell with balsamic syrup and some kind of fresh fruit. As you can see I need help, it may not work, anyone try using mushrooms in a dessert?

2. w.debord

w.debord

Your description sounds nice but I can't label it as a dessert, it's a savory tart.
    The only way I enjoy morels is fried extra crispy or made into a sauce...just eating chopped morels sauteed, ucky. I just can't think of the flavor or texture of them mixing well with sweet flavors....best I could do is some sort of dessert strudel.

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I'm in agreement here with W. I can't really imagine morels in a dessert, but if I were going to pair them with sweet ingredients, I'd probably go for dried apricots or plums.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Franzmark,

I must also concure with Momo and Wendy....some things are just not designed to be overly manipulated, Morels certainly fall into this catagory.

Experimenting for experimentings sake is not always a good thing :)

5. anna w.

anna w.

I agree with everyone on the dessert thing but I love mushroom strudel- great appetizer or first course, you might want to try that.

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    try candycaps....they have a maple flavor and are ok in a flan.
    or in an ice cream topping......Try meragine mushrooms for a dessert.
    I make duxelle cigars with fillo alot. Next week morel duxelle in a shroom cap for a hodo.
    **Earthy is not good for dessert.

7. fontzmark

fontzmark

Thanks.It would just seem hard to do, just wanted to ask the real pros out there if they had every done anything like this.

8. isa

isa

What about using dried morels reduce them to powder. It might be easier to use as a dessert component.

In her book, Claudia Fleming use truffle in one of her dessert. It was to be the finale of a truffle tasting menu. She made a rice pudding, a risotto really, made with Arborio rice and flavoured with vanilla. She suggest using 1/2 to 1 ounce of winter truffle for 6 to 8 servings.

9. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    whoa, cheese is earthy and savory but we enjoy it as a type of dessert!!!!

yes, go for a savory morel (sautee the morel with medira and sweet onion)and cheese tart with port soaked dried fruits, a red wine reduction and sweet and spicy nut bread, even a little baklava would fit into this very exotic dessert course taking the pallet from savory to sweet!

morels are a little slice of heaven~

the powder could be used in a tuille!:bounce: