Morels for dessert

Joined Aug 13, 2000
Anyone have any suggestions for using morels in a dessert? I am thinking of a French cheese tart, individual portions in a rustic morel laden tart shell with balsamic syrup and some kind of fresh fruit. As you can see I need help, it may not work, anyone try using mushrooms in a dessert?

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Your description sounds nice but I can't label it as a dessert, it's a savory tart.
The only way I enjoy morels is fried extra crispy or made into a sauce...just eating chopped morels sauteed, ucky. I just can't think of the flavor or texture of them mixing well with sweet flavors....best I could do is some sort of dessert strudel.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I'm in agreement here with W. I can't really imagine morels in a dessert, but if I were going to pair them with sweet ingredients, I'd probably go for dried apricots or plums.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Dear Franzmark,

I must also concure with Momo and Wendy....some things are just not designed to be overly manipulated, Morels certainly fall into this catagory.

Experimenting for experimentings sake is not always a good thing :)

Joined Nov 27, 2001
I agree with everyone on the dessert thing but I love mushroom strudel- great appetizer or first course, you might want to try that.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
try candycaps....they have a maple flavor and are ok in a flan.
or in an ice cream topping......Try meragine mushrooms for a dessert.
I make duxelle cigars with fillo alot. Next week morel duxelle in a shroom cap for a hodo.
**Earthy is not good for dessert.

Joined Aug 13, 2000
Thanks.It would just seem hard to do, just wanted to ask the real pros out there if they had every done anything like this.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
What about using dried morels reduce them to powder. It might be easier to use as a dessert component.

In her book, Claudia Fleming use truffle in one of her dessert. It was to be the finale of a truffle tasting menu. She made a rice pudding, a risotto really, made with Arborio rice and flavoured with vanilla. She suggest using 1/2 to 1 ounce of winter truffle for 6 to 8 servings.

Joined May 29, 1999
whoa, cheese is earthy and savory but we enjoy it as a type of dessert!!!!

yes, go for a savory morel (sautee the morel with medira and sweet onion)and cheese tart with port soaked dried fruits, a red wine reduction and sweet and spicy nut bread, even a little baklava would fit into this very exotic dessert course taking the pallet from savory to sweet!

morels are a little slice of heaven~

the powder could be used in a tuille!:bounce:

Top Bottom