More simple food to feed a family

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by maryb, Feb 9, 2015.

1. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Had milk leftover from making potato soup so I decided to make a bacon, onion, cheddar, egg pie for supper. This is scaled down for 2 hearty meals and can easily be scaled to feed a crowd(I used to make this for deer camp when we had 20+ to feed in the cabin).

12 oz bacon, cut in bite size pieces and fried until crisp. Reserve the fat

4 eggs

cup or so of milk

4oz grated cheddar

Bisquick or other biscuit mix

1/2 medium onion grated

S&P to taste, I used 1 teaspoon salt and a LOT of black pepper

Preheat oven to 375f. Beat the eggs then add the milk and mix in. Add Bisquick until it is like a thin pancake batter, if you get it to thick just add a little more milk. Add the onions and 2/3 the cheese and mix well. Pour a tablespoon or so of the bacon fat into the baking dish, add the fried bacon, then pour the batter mix over the top. Sprinkle the other 1/3 of the cheese on top and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

This is not a meal I make often, it is very filling and also a LOT of calories!

Yes this is on my best paper plate! I was lazy and not doing dishes tonight!

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Love it, very hearty.

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Snowing like a banshee today and that looks delicious for this weather.  Sounds perfect for pot luck - Thanks MaryB  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif  

The spanakopita I made yesterday is easy too and dare I say it?  Bacon could be added for an extra "kick it up a notch".  

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    12 oz. of bacon to feed 2 people?  That's my kind of cooking!!!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'll pretend I didn't hear that /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Bacon is a food group!

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You're going to secretly try that . . . I know you will . . . and I won't tell.    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif  

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It's also the proven "Gateway Meat" for vegetarians who trickle back to the "dark side".

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Haha! This reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother once when I was a kid. I said "when I grow up I'm going to put pepperoni in the pasticchio" to which my mother said "no you won't, you'll make it this way." She was right, I never did ever from the traditional not do I ever want to.

No judgments though! I'm not a stickler for authentic anything. I think bacon works with everything!