Monthly Challenge?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Mar 31, 2013.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was thinking that we have quite a group of individuals here that have a broad range of experience, but if you are anything like me you are constantly looking to expand that experience. I was thinking about starting a monthly challenge, beginning tomorrow that would feature an ingredient, or a cuisine. Those that participate would hopefully post pictures of their experience or otherwise post commentary about the particular challenge. Would you guys be interested?

2. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sounds like fun.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Like the Siduri/Koukouvagia challenge except no bets?  How would it work and who poses the challenge?

5. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd be afraid of competing against gunga.

6. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sounds good - single ingredient or basket?

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Very excited about the idea. Count me in. 

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A pizza making forum I frequent had this going for a while.  One of the moderators would pick a style and an ingredient or two, and folks would make an example and post pictures.  Maybe it could work here in some fashion.  It could be something like "hamburgers" or a couple of ingredients, like ground pork and fennel.  No prizes, no winners, no losers, just a chance to see how others deal with a given dish.

mjb.

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    On second thought, perhaps we should have a "winner"  - the one who makes the best example of whatever based on member comments gets to choose the next challenge.

mjb.

10. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Can I chime in on this?

Would this be for non-pros, since this was started in the non-pro forum and it also seems that us home cooks are picking up the gauntlet?

11. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Sounds like an interesting idea.

Count me in!

12. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    This might be a whole new forum, actually.  I can imagine hundreds of challenges being begun, unless there is some way to select them and moderate them from the beginning.  In any case, the challenge probably should be launched by someone who doesn;t participate. 

13. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @teamfat - Yep, Sounds like the best idea - two or three ingredients and an optional style requirement, which may be a specific technique, a specific cuisine or whatever. Informal vote at the end of the months to determine the winner. Can this forum software do polls? Winner gets to boast and to provide the next challenge.

@kgirl - Since this was started by a non-pro, I guess it is open to the non-pros in any case. Nothing against letting in the pros, too - bring it on /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif  I am not afraid of them interlecshuals and their book-larning /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Since eastshores brought up the idea, I suggest we go right ahead and eastshores has the honour of posting the first challenge for April!

(Of course, when seeing me post in this thread, my girlfriend already cautioned me that she will NOT eat pork and fennel for 20 days in a row until I have the dish competition-ready... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif)

14. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hm, some additional thoughts - I don't think the general cooking forum is so active that we would get swamped in challenges. Since we are all grown-ups here (we are, right /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif), I think this could run well without a lot of rules or moderation. Let's just remember to apply common sense and post the challenge in a way that allows for everyone to participate - e.g. no highly regional or overly expensive ingredients and techniques. But I guess we all know better than to post a "Casu marzu // Fugu liver // sous-vide"-challenge... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

On the topic of determining the current month's winner - how about the the one who posted the challenge runs out of competition and gets to be the final judge and arbiter, determining the next winner based on the aggregated comments of the others? I think this could just work, given that this is one of the most friendly and civilized forums I have ever encountered.

(edited for teh spelling, coffee not kicking in yet)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I agree.  Eastshores should start a new thread with a title like 'April Challenge' and we'll see how it goes.

mjb.

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok, say eastshores posts the challenge and decides the winner.  What is winning based on?  The flavor?  The creativity?  A good photo of good plating?  How does one decide that over the internet?  It seems more like a photo contest and then I'd lose for sure because there are some excellent photos around here, ones I cannot match.  And should the moderators play a role?

17. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well, being on a forum here, we will have to base the winning criteria on looks and on the description of the recipe. Can't get around that. In the end, I wouldn't take it really serious - just some light-hearted showing off of our ideas and plates. I never would expect winning any round myself, since there are so many people with superior presentation skills around here. So what? Just let's have some fun and learn something along the way!

Of course, any prospective judge is always invited to hop over to Bavaria and sample some of my stuff for taste :D

18. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Koukou - to add - aren't we doing the same non-serious, light-hearted showing off thing in the "What did you have for dinner"-thread already? I think the challenge should be essentially the same, just with people working on one theme for a bit. Non-serious fun, but it might end up educational.

19. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Lots of good feedback here. I really did not envision it being an actual "competition" rather a themed challenge that would give all of those who want to participate a common theme to work with and share our experiences. I will post a thread titled "Challenge - April 2013" and provide a theme for the thread. If others really want to compete, I'd have to defer to them to provide guidelines and rules and obviously the question of what constitutes a winning entry, it's more mess than I would want to introduce to this!

20. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Everyone who enters and adds to the learning and education of all is a winner.