Monosteel Whites..

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by mathew juhnke, Sep 14, 2013.

1. mathew juhnke

mathew juhnke

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey, I've been looking around at several different knives lately and I'm pretty interested in finding a 270mm gyuto in white steel. I have been using a hiromoto AS and have been really happy with it although the cladding seems to dampen the feeling a little so I want to try carbon steel without cladding. I've looked at Tadatsuna, Konosuke, Sakai Yusuke and Masamoto KS as they are all unclad, mono-steel white #2. However, I figure if I'm going to try white steel, I really want to go all out with White #1 to see how stunning an edge I can make..

I've looked around a little bit, but I'd like some information on whether such a knife exists or whether I need to be looking for honyaki white #1 (expensive?). I would also like some information on the differences in White #2 monosteels used by Tadatsuna, Konosuke, Sakai Yusuke and Masamoto so if I can't get my hands on a pure White #1 I can at least play around with White #2..

Cheers in advance

2. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Have your Hiromoto thinned to free some 1.5cm core on both sides, a little more left, perhaps, and it will feel very differently.

3. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Off the top of my head I can't recall seeing unclad White #1.  It would be super reactive, not sure how many makers would be willing to do it.  FWIW I've been really happy with my Konosuke White #2 (mono-steel).  If you do find mono White #1 I expect it's gonna be pretty expensive.

4. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If it were me... I'd probably just buy the yusuke and call it good. They seem like excellent knives for the price.

5. marc4pt0

marc4pt0

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a 240mm yusuke, the extra flat profile, which is a little hard to come by. It's meant to mimic the ks profile.
    This is an amazing knife for the price. Our of the box edge was second to none. When cutting root veg nothing sticks to it and keeping it hair popping sharp is a breeze. highly recommend it.