Monkfish

Joined Feb 9, 2002
I am an amateur chef with a true desire to prepare a
different yet simple monkfish tonight. The meal will be duplicated Weds night for my partner and a possible investor.
I've all the necessary cooking essentials but not the greatest
specialty food stores (couldn't find chanterral mushrooms today)
Any suggestions?
:) :eek:

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Hi Dad Chef, and welcome to cheftalk.
Just a quick note. Check out the recipe forum to post and contribute.
I love monkfish.(Lotte..Anglerfish)
Great texture and subtle flavor.

I was in Manhatten last week and had monkfish as my entree.
It sounds like it may be something similar to what you are looking for.
The fish was quickly oven roasted, sliced and served with fava beans, chanterels and a excellent garlic jus. You could substitute blue foot or hedgehog shrooms for the chanterels.

Just one idea to think about, But do look around the different forums to get ideas.
cc

Joined Feb 9, 2002
Thanks for your input.

Hedgehog shrooms I can find and I'll check your recipe forum!
Experimenting is not my forte and often times my Bon Appetit
mags are my guide. This sight is wonderful, I'll be back!

I've enjoyed reading the talks! I have a recipe for garlic au jus
I'm assuming your entre in NYC included medallions for the MONK!
I'll tell ya how it turned out, w/ input from my favoriter guinea pig, and wife!

:roll:

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Have fun, Thats the key!

I think you will enjoy cheftalk.
This community if overflowing with super people with great knowelage, and are not afraid to share.
cc

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Welcome! Try Earthy Delights for the fresh chanterelles, at
www.earthy.com

Love monkfish! Except the first time I cooked it (of course a long, long time ago!!!) I didn't take off the membrane and it was rather chewy!:D

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Marmalady,

First impressions are important. The first time I worked with Monkfish..it was the whole beast :)
Except for it's tasty tail, it is the scariest looking thing swimming in our oceans.
Have you ever had the liver from monk fish?
Tasty also
cc

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Yep, I've seen the beast!

And also eaten its liver - our favorite sushi bar does it up quite well, with a very light sake/mirin/soy sauce. Yum.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I had monk fish liver for the first time a couple of weeks ago, foie of the sea....great ponzu dip....the sushi chef said it's wonderful seared!!! I believe him.

Joined Apr 19, 2001
It IS wonderful seared! If you can get to a Japanese market, try some - do you have Japanese markets in St. Louis?!

Joined Feb 9, 2002
:bounce:

Wow!

earthy.com is an awsome sight! amateur's don'y always get
those inside scopes in places to find ingredients not found at your local grocers! I just happened to be driving through
it's locale (Dewitt near Lansing, MI) Fri.The moderators are great - I'll be back!

Eat well, live each day like it's your last!

CC

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Welcome to Chef Talk, dadchef. We're glad you found us. I see you've already gained information from our members, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of interesting stories and information to share with us, too. We'll look forward to reading your posts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom