Mollet eggs -- peeled soft-boiled

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I've been struggling with oeufs mollets lately, and I'm looking for peeling advice. I know that age makes eggs perl more easily, etc. My questions are about pressure cooking.

1. I've read that the eggs must not touch one another. Why? What happens if they do?

2. Should I pierce the end with a pin or not?

I'm looking for the greatest odds of peeling fairly cleanly, given that the eggs will be very fresh and I want the yolks runny like a poached egg.
IMG_20180314_122108154.jpg

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Piercing the end works better for hard boiled eggs.

I've seen from somewhere that you should crack the shell all over when hot out of the water, then cool completely, and peel under water.

Joined Mar 14, 2018
Maybe they are thinking that if they are touching then the pot is over crowded and the eggs won't cook evenly because not all the service area of the egg is exposed to the water. One thing that can help to peel is if you crack the egg slightly before you drop it into an ice bath.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
No pin prick. Start eggs in boiling water, reduce to simmer. After cooking immediately immerse in ice bath at least 15 minutes. Longer is better. It is still going to be difficult with super fresh eggs.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Add vinegar to the water. Egg shells are made of calcium carbonate and the acidic vinegar will dissolve a bit of the shell making the eggs easier to peel.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
1. It's not so much that they shouldn't touch, but they should be separated some for even cooking. I think people have taken not piling them all together in the middle to the extreme of not touching.

2. No, there is no need to pierce the shell.

Your cook time will vary some depending on the number of eggs and if you do high or low pressure - either way, don't forget to do quick release when they are done.

We pressure cook our fresh out of the chicken eggs - it is the only way they will peel well.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Let the eggs cool in ice water with tablespoon of vinegar and baking soda per quart, crack the shells after a few minutes and return to bath. This will loosen shells and firm up whites.

Joined May 28, 2015
Let the eggs cool in ice water
Yep! That works - plus using older eggs. Although I don't find the vinegar and baking soda make much difference. Unlike with quail's eggs where vinegar literally dissolves the shell. And if you have ever tried to peel a soft boiled or hard boiled quail's egg you will be glad of that tip!

Joined Nov 15, 2012
For even more on firm-whites/runny-yokes do a search here for "perfect boiled egg."

Top Bottom