Modern Gastronomy Kit

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by NotDelia, Feb 11, 2019.

1. NotDelia

NotDelia

Exp:
    Retired and now an enthusiastic home cook
    I'm a sucker for gimmicks and gadgets - and I like fun stuff too. Therefore, I couldn't resist buying a "modern gastronomy kit" from Amazon. This contains lots of little pots of chemicals eg, calcium lactate. sodium alginate, ultratex, etc, etc, as well as tubes, a syringe, etc.

Well, this is all very exciting but I'm not sure where to start. I've searched for relevant books, of course, but haven't yet found exactly what I need. Jason Logsdon seems to be a prominent name in this field but I wasn't very inspired by his recipes.

Can anyone recommend a modernist cuisine cooking course for beginners or even suggest some ways of how I might get started?

Thanks in advance.

2. Emojitsu

Emojitsu

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I think the Molecule-r site will send you an e book, if you don't mind giving them an email address for newsletters/advertisements. They sent me a physical copy of their book when I ordered one of their kits a few years ago. I'm sure it's all the same stuff.
    https://mailchi.mp/molecule-r/molecular-gastronomy-free-recipes

NotDelia likes this.
  3. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    NotDelia likes this.
  4. NotDelia

NotDelia

Exp:
    Thanks to both of you. That's the type of thing I was looking for. Coincidentally, I already ordered the Molecule-R book from Amazon yesterday but the eBook will enable me to get started earlier. One criticism I have of it is that the liquid measures are in 'cups' rather than ml. It seems odd that accuracy is necessary for some of the ingredients, eg 2.5g of this and 2g of that, and then it's add 2 cups of water. Yeah, I know it's the traditional American way but I thought that chefs had moved over to metric these days.

Emojitsu and dectra like this.
  5. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Emojitsu and NotDelia like this.
  6. NotDelia

NotDelia

Exp:
    Wow. That looks pretty interesting. And it was free! Many thanks.

I've not been around here much recently - a bit busy. But I really appreciate all the help and I hope to participate more again soon.

7. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You seem to know this but you are much better off when the recipe lists these ingredients by weight.

ChefSteps.com has a number of recipes that utilize chemicals and things like sous vide. They are a pretty good resource.