Miyabi 7000 Pro small deba

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by Aaron Pankonin, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Aaron Pankonin

Aaron Pankonin

Exp:
    Home cook
    This was my first Japanese style knife. I bought it mostly because it was on sale on the Henckels website a couple years ago. I was familiar with the Henckels line and like the looks of this knife and the sale price was $50-60.

The blade is 3.75" with a rather large, but very comfortable handle. The blade is labeled cryodur high carbon cmv 60 stainless steel. From what I researched this is VG10 steel. The blade is a single bevel, another first for me.

I don't use the knife for fish the way a true deba is intended, but I do enjoy this knife. It has held up well with minimal maintenance or sharpening. I use it for light vegetable prep, maybe similar to a pairing knife. It chops well keeping knuckles off the cutting board.

Pros
    - overall fit and finish
    - good for smaller tasks
    - edge retention
    - Henckels factory support if needed

Cons
    - heavy knife due to stainless design of handle
    [​IMG]

2. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How thick is the spine? A deba is normally thick enough that it gets quite awkward to use on vegetables.

3. Aaron Pankonin

Aaron Pankonin

Exp:
    Home cook
    I measure .1". It's not thick like debas I've seen on eBay for sale. This is 2.5mm, some I've seen at close to 10mm.

4. Aaron Pankonin

Aaron Pankonin

Exp:
    Home cook
    IMG_9385.JPG Sorry, looks like link didn't work for picture. Trying to better learn how to use site and attach picture to the thread.

5. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    this knife could also be called an Ajikiri which has the same appearance. there seems to be no rules as to spine thickness, I have seen examples from 1.5mm to 6mm. I find the size and blade shape coupled with a double bevel make it the most used knife in my kitchen.