Mixing cooked pork with raw pork fat

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hmsanabriam, Dec 17, 2014.

1. hmsanabriam

hmsanabriam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello everyone, I'm asking for advice on an idea I have in my mind and I'm not sure if it's safe or dangerous:

Recently I made pork burger and the result was between delicious and "o.k". My brother loved it but he thought that he was eating a beef burger. I wanna make a burger that tastes like pork so my idea is to cook pork shoulder for 4 hours in a slow cooker, shred it and grind it with raw pork fat, after that cook the patty on a grill 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Is that a clever and safe idea or I'm just bringing some bacterias to my already cooked food that can grow faster and won't die with heat???????

Thanks in advance  

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why don't you cook it in pork fat?

millionsknives likes this.
  3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I think that's fine as long as you're grinding it right before.  If I was trying to get more flavor, I'd probably render the fat and mix it in or add some of the pork fat to the skillet.  Or caramelize onions in your rendered pork fat etc.

4. hmsanabriam

hmsanabriam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I wanna control the % of fat in each hamburger, that's what fat can't be cooked with the pork

5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I say skip the slow cooker, grind your fat in like you would a normal burger 25-30% fat.  If you want it to say pork, add some spices like toasted fennel or sage.  Your burger will say "I AM SAUSAGE, I AM PORK."

6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Cube your shoulder up and your pork fat.  Mix together then put it in the freezer till almost frozen then run that through your grinder.  Being that cold you will get the best blend of fat and lean.

7. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You probably don't even really need a grinder. Partly frozen chunks of raw shoulder can be turned into burger-suitable mince in a food processor.

8. jaynna

jaynna

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    The idea of shredding it and grinding it with raw pork fat is the right idea if you want to make burger to taste like pork. I've done it several times. Sometimes I make pork burgers taste like pork sausages. Of course, to do this, it depends on the KIND of sausage I want the ground pork to taste like. I want an Italian pork flavor, so fennel seeds would be the key ingredient.

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I agree with Mike9 on grinding together the meat and the fat when raw. That's my usual approach. And yes, I sometimes use the food processor instead of the grinder.

And while I normally very lightly season the patties and use the toppings and sauces to get the desired flavor, I have certainly ground in onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, herbs and such right in with the meat.

It's a burger - the main rule is to make something you like.

mjb.

10. hmsanabriam

hmsanabriam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks a lot for all the opinions guys, I think I will follow the suggestions made by Jaynna as I wanna make a burger that tastes like LECHONA

I am pretty sure that none of you know what Lechona is, so google it and you will want to come to Colombia if you are pork lovers like me hahaha

11. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What if you add some pork cracklings to your burger? I remember a chicken burger recipe i made some years ago, where i used chicken skin cracklings, and it was good.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  12. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I did google it and now I'm hungry!

13. everydaygourmet

everydaygourmet

Exp:
    Chef/Owner/Operator
    @hmsanabriam  make sure both are cooled properly as well. You may have a problem with forming and keeping a burger shape with shredded pork, maybe an egg to help bind. Done similar as smoked brisket burgers and add cooked bacon to pork sliders.

Like to see the finished product.

Cheers!

EDG

14. hmsanabriam

hmsanabriam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Another question: FOr how long can I freeze my burgers as they will be 75% cooked and 25% raw? 1 month is still safe?????

15. everydaygourmet

everydaygourmet

Exp:
    Chef/Owner/Operator
  16. hmsanabriam

hmsanabriam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @EverydayGourmet  Thank you very much!

IF you ever come to COlombia let me know :p

17. everydaygourmet

everydaygourmet

Exp:
    Chef/Owner/Operator
    @hmsanabriam  will do and don't be surprised if I show up there! Have friends and worked in Panama and El Salvador! Do you have Suprema Beer in Columbia?, one of my favorites, just another reason to visit!

Regards,

EDG

18. hmsanabriam

hmsanabriam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I haven't heard about that beer here, but  we drink a lot  of beers here, so I highly doubt you will be disappointed

Regards :) 

19. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Start with everything raw with proper seasonings. Why do triple work>?

20. hmsanabriam

hmsanabriam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I did it raw with seasoning and the result was a nice hamburger with a soft texture but it was hard to tell that it was made of pork. IT tasted like beef or beef with chicken but not pork