Missing flavor

Joined Dec 26, 2018
My family has a red meat sauce recipe and I'm allergic to beef so I tried only substituting the beef with turkey. The sauce is okay but it still feels like its missing something and I cant tell what it is. Any ideas?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi and welcome to CT. :)

What is the recipe? We can't really help you unless we know what you are talking about.

Joined Dec 26, 2018
Hi and welcome to CT. :)

What is the recipe? We can't really help you unless we know what you are talking about.
You start off with oil and beef in a pot, let the beef brown and add a blended mix of crushed tomatoes, cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, salt, pepper, tomato puree and tomato paste. Its a sauce I grew up with but now I'm allergic to so I attempted to change one thing so I can enjoy it but the flavoring is off. Turkey has less fat than beef so I know most of it is the just the flavor from beef fat being turned into oil slowly. I just don't know what I can substitute for the flavor of that

Joined Sep 21, 2001
Hi!
Beef and turkey have very different flavor profiles. To compensate for the lack of umami-like richness of beef, I might carmelize the onion before adding the ground turkey. Then, I'd add porcini powder, then taste if that brought out the depth you are looking for. I'd also add some extra olive oil to add fat to the mouthfeel.

Joined Jun 11, 2018
If you have access to it, Impossible Beef is close to the real thing. Like... scary close. I agree with the others though, Pork, Mutton/ Lamb/ Goat will give you different flavors, but they all sound great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom