Miniature desserts.....

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by eeyore, Apr 20, 2002.

1. eeyore

eeyore

...and petit fours.

Any ideas for one or two bite desserts for a banquet? We'll have about 200 and I want to do some different things. You know, not just truffles, mini tartlets and regular petit fours.

:bounce:

2. kimmie

kimmie

In Sweet Miniatures : The Art of Making Bite-Size Desserts by Flo Braker, you will find popular favorites including:

Individual Lemon Meringue Tarts
    Shortbread Cameos
    Viennese Triangles
    Krumkake
    Pistachio Petit Fours
    Neapolitan Wedges
    Lebkuchen
    Miniature chewy Panforte di Siena
    Crispy Florentine Squares
    Tangy Shreveshire Tarts

Little sweet somethings--Candied Almond Clusters, Golden Caramels, and Toffee Butter Crunch and much much more.

You might also want to flip through Baking with Julia where Flo Braker displays some petit four recipes:

Miniature Florentine Squares
    Glazed Mini-Rounds
    Madeleines and Lady Fingers (you can make them bite-size)

At last, in Claudia Fleming's book The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern, you will find Chestnut-honey madeleines, Earl Grey Chocolate Truffles. There's also the famous chocolate-caramel tart (she describes it as a highly sophisticated Rolo candy) and you certainly can make miniature ones. Don't forget to sprinkle with Fleur de Sel just before serving.

You will also find some ideas in Professional Pastry Chef, 3rd ed.

3. pjm333

pjm333

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    eeyore
    Here is a very good bite size desseret
    LAMINGTONS
    2 1/2 C cake flour
    2 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    6 oz butter
    1 1/2 C sugar
    3 eggs
    3 /4 C milk
    SYRUP
    3/4 C hot coffee
    1 oz butter
    1/2 C cocoa
    1 1/2 C 10X

desicatted coconut
    Sift dry, cream butter and sugar, add eggs and beat 5 min. add dry and wet beggining and ending with dry
    Bake at 350 degrees about 30 min..tester clean.Cool down and cut into bite size pieces. For the syrup, blend all ingredients.Dipe cake pieces in coffee syrup , Break a piece open..you want almost to be soaked 1/2 way through.. Remove from syrup and roll in coconut

pat

4. anna w.

anna w.

The Sophisticated Cookie has a lot of really good recipes. Three of my favorites are Bailey's tartlets (filled with Bailey's 'pudding'), B-52 chocolate chip cookies (easy to make, just cut them into sticks instead of squares), and truffled brandy balls.

I'd also like to second the recomendation for Sweet miniatures by Flo Braker.

5. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I always include palmiers on any mini pastry buffet. They're cheap, yummy, and easy to make a bunch of them at once. You can make the dough far in advance and keep it in the freezer. Then re-sugar and bake it up to 2 days in advance. I store them on plates or whatever is handy and wrap in plastic film.

6. spoons

spoons

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes, Sweet Miniature's-Flo Braker
    Also, Gale Gand's "Just A Bite"
    (125 Lusciuous Little Desserts)

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gale Gand's book is wonderful. Our pastry chef just got and I had a chance to look it over. Very nice and lots of ideas.

8. isa

isa

Are you interested in tarts or cakes and cookies?

I do a lot of nut tarts, almond or pistachio are my favourite. Anything with chocolate is appreciated. My latest is white chocolate ganache with raspberries in a chocolate crust.

Everything goes with chocolate ganache the possibilities are endless. I just did a maple chocolate mini tart, they quickly disappeared. Candied orange and chocolate tarts are out of this world. So are candied ginger tartelettes.

Of course there are traditional petits fours. Don't forget most deserts can be done in smaller size.

9. isaac

isaac

some ideas:

jelly rolls... sounds stupid but it works

another idea is little mousselets (if that is a word). just make a sponge batter and take sheet pans and line it with parchment. then spread the batter all over it... make it thin and even. brake for a few minutes. let cool. (make sure you have a lot of little steal mold circles). take the "sheet cake" and cut circles. line each mold with the circles.. make mousse... pipe in the molds and freeze. after a few hours.. unmold.

hope this help

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    jellies
    candied dipped zest
    of course funky filled strawberries, figs or dates

11. eeyore

eeyore

Thanx,

well I got teamed up with a partner that cant seem to think outside the box. We are doing:

Mini square choc. cakes (boring)
    pound cake finger sandwiches (a little better)
    mini baked Alaskas(different but scary)
    chocolate velvit mini tartlets with white swans "swimming" in them
    fancy diamond-shaped petit fours of very thin layers of almond cake and raspberry jam
    white and dark chocolate mousse terrine(required)
    banana-macadamia spring rolls(I had to put my foot down about this one)

I have extra mousse, any easy suggestions for use? Also, presentation? I haven't even thought about it yet.

thank you all again.

eeyore

12. compassrose

compassrose

The most popular tiny desserts from the catering company my company uses the most often are:

little chocolate tart-shaped moulds or shells, white or dark chocolate, filled with chocolate mousse, and

various sorts of Middle Eastern phyllo pastry things.

13. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Any ideas for using puff pastry dough for mini-desserts? I was considering making a jelly roll-type item (with the filling not as yet determined), then slicing the roll thinly. Or can it be used to make small, filled purses?

I don't have a lot of experience with this dough but I think I've come to the right place to ask! :bounce:

Mezz

14. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mezz
    You could use puff to make mini voul au vent shells. Usually they are always savory but they can be filled with anything.

15. tessa

tessa

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    what about large strawberries hollowed out and stuffed with lemon marscapone cheese and then half dipped in dark chcolate
    or
    minature skewers with hot caramalised pineapple with stem ginger
    or
    minature pavlovas topped with espresso cream
    or
    fresh dates stuffed with roasted pistachios and wrapped in a tuille wrapper
    or
    minature cheesecakes done on a moulded ginger biscuit/cookie base with coconut and lime
    or
    minature chocolate cups filled with a zesty chcoloate and orange mousse
    or
    rhubarb and black berry jellies on chinese spoons
    or
    white chocolate and peanut butter or dark chocolate and peppermint baked tarts
    or
    turkish delight mousse on pistacchio wafers
    or
    minature brandy snaps filled with orange marmelade and cream fraiche mixed together

16. tessa

tessa

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    what about things like baby danishes,
    pithivers
    jelly filled croissants
    pinwheels
    chocolate and coffee pastry cream inside little cases

17. shellaphante

shellaphante

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I usually use phyllo for the little 'beggers purse" just layer a few with butter, add your desired filling, then pull the corners up to eachother and use foil as a loose twist tie. Puff pastry i fear wouldn't give you the finished product you're hoping for.

18. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Mini Strudel, mini creme brulees en croute, Black and white dipped strawberries, Mini filled choco boxes, Blondie and browny layers, Mini fruit Ka-bobs and on and on