milk

Joined Nov 23, 2002
I have read that you can freeze milk if you are not going to use it by the exp date....any one know how long it lasts in the freezer? :bounce:

Thanks,
Jes

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I've heard of people doing this (no surprise; look where I live). Do be careful with the container: leave room for expansion.

Certainly, ice cream and ice milk are successful products. I wonder if the fat content affects the storage life?

Joined Nov 13, 2002
According to the freezer storage chart from Kansas State University (http://www.oznetksu.edu/humannutriti...e/freezsto.htm) milk can be stored, frozen, for 1 month. Note: Allow room for expansion in freezer container (already mentioned); thaw in refrigerator. Freezing affects flavor and appearance; use in cooking and baking. (end of information)

Personal note: As a child I lived out in the country and we froze all our milk. Occasionally we would need to open and reduce the amount to allow for expansion before placing in the freezer, but we used it for drinking as well as cooking. It's all in what you get used to as far as the palate is concerned. Another note. set it inside of a shallow dish of some kind with a folded paper towel to absorb the moisture from the thaw, or possible escape from the lid (which it can do).

Top Bottom