Milk Substatute for Sheperds Pie?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kozee, Jan 4, 2005.

1. kozee

kozee

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Absolutely. If you use it straight from the can, it will be richer; but you can dilute it with water -- I think there are directions on the can that tell you how much water to add to make it back into regular milk.

But do yourself a favor, actually a couple of favors: First, use butter instead of margarine, which is nasty stuff with no flavor and is bad for you too; second, look instead for recipes that don't use so many processed foods. It is easier, less expensive, and much healthier to make your own fresh mashed potatoes and to season foods with only enough salt to make them taste right to you. REAL cooking is not difficult, and it's lots more fun than opening a bunch of packets.

I'm sure others here can point you toward recipe sites that fill that bill. :D

3. kozee

kozee

Thanks! Ill try my best with the milk part. Theres nothing on the back of the can but i'll try to even it out.
    The recepie says to use Lipton mashed potatoes, but im going to boil them and mash them myself. As well as use as many veggies that are in the fridge insted of frozen ones. The ongion packaging will be the only package. But ill add some fresh ongion in there as well. :)

Thanks for the help!

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Cool! Now you're cooking. :D