Mildly Surprised

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sgsvirgil, Feb 24, 2018.

1. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    I'm actually rather surprised that more people don't start more threads and have more conversations about food and wine pairing.

drirene likes this.
  2. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    I know right? Maybe it's because the basic and simple pairings are usually obvious. But it's why I like this topic, I love unorthodox pairings that still work, and I wish more people would share those

sgsvirgil likes this.
  3. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Never crossed my mind.

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I don't know either...perhaps the young people here on the threads don't have the experience yet.
    I could share many food and wine stories from my experiences.

sgsvirgil likes this.
  5. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Indeed.....

6. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    I guess we really don't. I'm 23, and not even a culinary student. We throw the occasional dinner party but other than that it's mostly quick dinners, not much chance to experiment. But that's more reason why I like reading more about experiences.

7. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    There is a lot of good information about wine and food pairing in this section.

aliphares likes this.
  8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When doing a food and wine pairing menu, do you figure out the food to be served and then select wine to pair with it...or do you figure out the wine to be served and then devise food to pair with it?

9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Can't get a lot of good wine here, so no matter what I eat, I just drink the wine I like and can afford.
    Having said that, if I am in Europe and in a restaurant with a good wine list, I will normally go by the sommelier's choice (as long as it is a dry red wine :cool:)

sgsvirgil likes this.
  10. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    It can happen either way. If the menu contains items that I am not familiar with or have not paired before, then, the food would come first. But, sometimes, a certain bottle or varietal will scream for a certain food. So, I have made menu suggestions based on wines that were available and thus, the wine came first.

The type of event also can determine what comes first. If its an event that showcases wine, then, whatever food might be served will be paired with the wine. Thus, once more, the wine comes first. Generally, the food menu is figured out first and then the wine.

Right now, I am overhauling a friend's wine menu to go along with his new food menu selections and the first few cases of wine arrived today. As I am typing this, I am falling deeply in love with a 2015 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. I think he may have to put duck on the menu if he is going to offer this wine. :) And just like that, a pairing made in heaven just happened where the wine came first.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  11. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Here's one. Its more of a tasting exercise, really. Try pairing fresh ground black pepper with a Syrah. Roast the pepper corns first to remove any moisture. Eat one or two the pepper corns and drink the wine. The flavor combination will give great insight into how a wine like Syrah could fit nicely with menu items seasoned with pepper.

Most people who pair wines with food go for the obvious connections. Its safe. But, I like to pair food and wine based on their subtleties, not their obvious characteristics.

Another great pairing that I like a lot is Barbera and Star Anise. Serve a delicious chicken roasted with anise and root vegetables and serve it with a good Barbera. As soon as your guests taste the wine with the flavors of the chicken, they will stop looking at your funny for serving a medium bodied, moderately dry red wine with poultry. ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    aliphares likes this.
  12. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I prefer to know the wine first before deciding the menu as I feel that a more synergistic pairing and melding of flavors is achieved with this method. In this scenario, the wine is a completed product and cannot be tweaked, whereas the food is a truly blank canvas at this point and be created to truly pair with the wine. In the opposite case, if the food is completed, you are merely picking an appropriate completed product to match the food.

sgmchef and sgsvirgil like this.
  13. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    I agree. If given my druthers, I would develop the food around the wine, too. But, as we both know, it seldom works that way.

14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have done more food and wine dinners than I could possibly remember. There was a twelve year period where I did one a week. The two times I encountered issues with menu development where when I was working with wine makers who knew their wines were the stars of the evening and so were insistent that I come up with menu first.

15. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef

Like yourself, I too have created, planned, cooked, and served countless wine dinner. I'm not sure I could purchase wine first then create a menu around it. I find the nuances of wine to be the challenge when cooking, so for me, I would want to come up with a dish first, THEN go out to match it with a great wine.
    Red meat red wine, white meat white wine is no longer a discerning factor when choosing wine anymore.

16. Aleyu

Aleyu

Exp:
    I also prefer to taste the wine or even before eating a glass of wine to prepare your palate

17. toddhicks209

toddhicks209

Exp:
    amateur, food blogger
    Maybe not that many people pair food and wine, myself included.

18. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know that I have a preference to doing it either way. Sometimes, I have a wine, or wines, that I want to create a menu around and other times I know what I want to cook and then pair the wines to the food I am cooking. I think it is more fun, and a bit more of a challenge to start with the wine and create the menu from there, but honestly it is about 50/50 as to which comes first, the wine or the food.

19. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We don't see a lot of movement in this forum and I'm not sure why. I too would love to see it used more. People also shouldn't confine themselves to food and wine pairs, but also beer and food pairs, and pairing other spirits with food.

sgsvirgil likes this.
  20. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The topic of food and beverage pairing is more complex than a 20 year old Chateau Margaux...

Isn't it fun telling people what they should like! "No, seriously, this is the absolute perfect pairing!"

Whew, I am so glad that everyone has identical likes and dislikes in food and beverage...
    I'm also glad that grapes never vary from year to year, or geographical location!
    Makes pairing so much easier!

Seriously though, I prefer to make the food to match the wine, just because it's more fun and easier.
    I like to try a new wine, if inspired, I get more of that particular vintage just to make food for it...

sgsvirgil likes this.