Microwaved water experiment

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, May 1, 2006.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This is an interesting experiment that shows the affects of a microwave on water. Thought others would find this interesting and possibly spark some good discussion.

http://www.execonn.com/sf/

2. emilyr1981

emilyr1981

Exp:
    At home cook
    I read the information on the site. I am definitely going to search for more information about this. I have heard this from other sources, but never understood how it could be possible. Thanks for the interesting post.

Emily
    http://www.everythingkitchens.com

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm not impressed. Too many variables uncontrolled and unaccounted for. Notice how the microwater pot on the left is always wet and the other always drying. Looks like a problem from day one.

Doing the recommended google search, the first hit gets his science wrong on AC and DC power to create bad/good microwaves, nor do his claims have any effect on liquid water which is free to move and not be "torn apart" Nor does he support the water and plants claim.

Second hit is the link that starts all this.

The third hit actually proposes using the microwave oven to sterilize potting soil, nothing about the alleged dangers.

Fourth is about microwave satellite imagery to manage irrigation.

Fifth is a report on seed resistance to microwaves

Then a series of links all showing the same pictures and story we just saw. No news or repreated experiments.

I'm highly skeptical.

Phil

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    From another thread who is doing the experiment again in a more controlled enviornment. The difference was none so far. BUT This has not been done in a labratory controlled enviornment.

Your statement in the second paragraph about changing food at the molecular level is wrong. Microwaves don't have the energy to do such a thing. When looking at the electromagnetic spectrum, microwaves are similar in energy to radio waves. Because they don't have enough energy to ionize (molecularly change matter) the water, pizza, etc., all they can do is cause the molecules of water and fat to vibrate. When things vibrate, they create friction which creates heat. Nothing in the food changes. It's the same thing when you heat a pot of water. All you're doing differently is transferring the heat from a source (flame or electric - which by the way is using visible/infrared electromagnetic radiation to heat your water which is higher in energy than microwaves), having a metal container conduct the heat to the water, and then having it warm the molecules until they vibrate and create enough friction to make enough heat in order to boil.

And with her experiment, there's too many unknowns. Did both plants get the same amount of sunlight? Are both soils the same? Another thing is that she trimmed them off of another plant. Well maybe one of the clippings didn't take while the other one did. It would have been a better experiment had she just taken two plants of similar size that were potted in the same container and same soil. This may seem like I raggin' on her, but it's not. This is a very bright girl to try an experiment like this at such a young age. It's just that you have to establish constants for everything so that the only variable in the experiment is which water each plant is getting. Then you can definitely say, that yes the microwaved water kills the plants.

This person agrees with Phil