Microwave importance? and which one to get

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by oddwine, Oct 31, 2017.

1. oddwine

oddwine Banned

Exp:
    cooking
    Hey, im going to buy a microwave. first i have to say i hate microwave and all its kinds, im only a home cook, and like doing things in a real oven. But following cooking tutorials i always see them use it, so i have to buy it. I will use one to heat stuff, so i never will use all the functions like pizza and such or broil stuff. I feel i need a big size, 25-30l. Does wattage matter for my use? Should buy a cheaper model, or spit in 100-150 dollars extra for a better one, is it worth it? aesthetics is very important to me aswell, and i hate the white looking materieal

feel free to come with recomandations

Do you guys use microwave?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Consumer reports would be a better source.
    Panasonic had been what my last two have been. Generally the higher the wattage the faster it cooks. A turntable helps it cook evenly. I prefer buttons over knobs for this particular interface.

3. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
  4. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Get the largest one you can; it is very frustrating when a dish you want to use just almost fit inside but not quite.

Higher wattage ones cook faster, but if you will be doing a lot of frozen meal reheating, choose the standard wattage that those food required.

To get the most out of microwave cooking, choose one that can actually emit different amount of microwave. For example, when you choose 50% power, you want to get 50% power the entire cooking time, not 100% power 50% of the time. With this scalable feature, you cook the perfect fish, soften butter (without melting), or melt chocolate (without stirring) in the microwave.

rick alan likes this.
  5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I didn't even know that "true" power controlled units were available. This would certainly save the switching relay also.

You should know that probably 90% of microwave failures are the door switch, they are invariably cheap ones, and none will work with a burned out switch. So always use the shut off button before opening the door. On the cheaper models they can be replaced, a little pain, but on the more expensive ones I have heard they are not always obtainable, at least for reasonable money. So just don't stress the switch by opening the door while unit is running and causing it to arc.

Youtube has a number of videos detailing common failures and easy fixes.

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Don't all microwaves have this option? It's push 3 minutes @ 50% power start......

7. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    They do. But if you listen closely, on some models, you can hear the magnetron kicking in and turning off in intervals. While the one I was talking about, the magnetron will be on constantly but @ 50% power. If you have a 1,000-watt microwave, it will only use like 500 watts @ 50% power.