Microplane to the rescue

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by monpetitchoux, Sep 4, 2001.

1. monpetitchoux

monpetitchoux

Have you guys tried out your microplane on tough stuff like lemongrass and galangal root? It works like a charm! I was trying out a recipe for Thai red curry paste and don't have a mortar and pestle. So I had to mince the tougher ingredients by hand before putting into the mini-processor. Then I thought to try the microplane. In no time at all, I had a little pile of finely minced, almost powdery lemongrass and galangal. Even if I do have a mortar and pestle, I think I'll still use the microplane to mince these ingredients before they go into the pounder. It'll save so much time and energy. The microplane is not as efficient on gigner, though. Ginger fleshier and lest tough. For ginger, I'll stick to my small hole grater, which I also use for pureeing garlic. If I have to chop lots of onions, I use the Japanese mandoline. Anyone got a tool for shallots? Still chopping those by hand.

2. kimmie

kimmie

I haven't and thanks for the tip. I also wish someone would come forward with a tool for shallots!

:rolleyes:

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    monpetitchoux,

I've been a fan of microplanes for years! It works great on just about anything you'd grate, nutmeg, hard cheeses, citrus rinds, carrote, you name it, etc. They have several different varieties of graters now, it's so fun to browse...! I'm never going back!