Micronesian cuisine - need help

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by wolfie, Mar 13, 2011.

1. wolfie

wolfie Banned

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I could use some help, me and a couple of friends get together once a month where we in turn cook some good food for each other. We always have theme and the way we decide the theme is like so, we have bag with a lot of paper piece and on each piece of paper there's a name of a country... one piece of paper pr. country.

This time I have to make a dinner from the Micronesia, and I could use some help. I

have no clue what so ever what I could use as a starter...

For the main course I think I would make Micronesian Chicken

I was planning to serve rice and some fried vegetables to the chicken not sure what source would be best here though...

For dessert I was thinking baked papaya

I hope you guys can help me out here, I am open for ideas as well...

In advance thanks for the help.

Best regards,

Michael

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Just guessing here, Wolfie, cuz I really don't know. But, is micronesian cooking significantly different than polenesian? If not, that might be a way of broadening your opportunities.

Either way, seems to me that your menu cries out for a seafood starter of some sort.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    This is a bit of a toughie, I'm not really familiar with this form of cookery.  However, I'll give it a shot.  I hope the event is not gone and done....

For starters, I agree with KYH.  Seafood is  a must.  Keep it simple.  Garlic and chilli prawns on a bed of mixed greens dressed with a simple balsamic vinaigrette.

With the chicken, I'd be tempted to do a chicken curry in coconut cream, garnished with finely sliced spring onion tops.  Keep the veg simple, perhaps julienned carrots, snow peas (snap peas, mange tout), and red onions.  Blanch, then a very quick stir fry in veg oil, finished off with a dash of sesame oil at the end.  Simply serve on top of your rice, then curry, then veg.

Dessert: Why not a simple tropical salad.  I don't know what you can get that is in season and available there to suit the theme.  I would generally say pineapple, papaya, mango...that sort of thing.  Just fresh and simple.  You could I suppose do a grilled pineapple sprinkled with brown sugar in wedges dressed with plain yoghurt,

Hope it goes well, whatever you decide on.