Micro

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by botanique, Aug 27, 2005.

1. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Since the menu subject has been adressed, I feel safe to ask this question: I am writing a review, and one of the ingredients on the menu is Micro Arugula -- even though in the description of another dish is Baby Spinach -- as a biologist I have a hard time stomaching (no pun intended) that description. Or am I just being to fussy and naive about this whole thing?

CRISPY DUNGENESS CRAB CAKE
    with Avocado, Cucumber, Local Corn Salsa & Micro Arugula

Okay, I know, get to the question -- As a chef, how involved are you in the process of not only menu dish naming, but description? I know it depends on whether you own the restaurant, the size, whether its a chain.... I know that during my kitchen time, I had an influence, but it was the owner's call.

(BTW the cakes were good)

2. beefcheeks

beefcheeks

Micro-greens have been around and used mostly as a garnish type salad to accompany a dish. Those that use the "micro" term in their menus, are simply adding a perceived value by which the unassuming customer will certainly ask - "what is micro-arugula?" -- The well-trained waiter will use this opportunity to highlight and add value to an otherwise mundane dish. It's all about marketing and profit.

It's true that Chefs are mostly responsible for writing the menus. But it's also common to collaborate with the Front House Manager. His/Her marketing savvy and sensibilities to the clientele play a big part in what gets printed on the menu. The greatest dish in the world is not worth the effort, if it cannot be sold.

FWIW, I too don't subscribe to the "micro" thing so much. I think "Rocket Sprouts" is a lot catchier! :D OTOH, a dish like Sauteed Sweetbreads w/ Blood-Orange and Lamb's tongue Salad , probably wouldn't sell for beans! :p

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Micro greens have become very trendy in many restaurants recently. Basically they are greens that have just gone beyond the "sprout" stage, where they have developed their very first, tiny leaves. They are younger and smaller than what most people describe as "baby" greens.

4. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    BC -- LOL I don't think I could stomach that one either! Thank you for your input. Since I only worked in two kitchens it helps to get info. Pete -- makes sense, I guess I just have to put my biology/microscopy hat in my back pocket sometimes and don my apron when it comes to restaurants and food! :)