michel cluizel... good chocolate?

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by toshibaaa, Apr 26, 2013.

1. toshibaaa

toshibaaa

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any experiences with michel cluizel.

How is the taste and cost/price comparing to valrhona. cacao barry and/or callebaut?

2. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think it is better than valhrona or the others, price is $$$ though, but you get what you pay for, I used it for years at a previous job, I wouldn't buy it for garnishes and such because of the price but the taste is excellent, good mouth feel and they offer a nice variety.

3. toshibaaa

toshibaaa

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I just got the price list from the supplier ... Damn! ... Semi sweet/ 55% with 21kg cost $560! It more $ than valrhona ... I think I almost fainted lol

4. jodi mackinnon

jodi mackinnon

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  5. chocbloco

chocbloco

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Apologies if my question is a bit general but does anyone know the cheapest supplier of any of these 2 covertures (Origin choc) that sells to UK?

http://www.qualifirst.com/en/maralumipng-milk-minigram-deal-3kg-michel-cluizel

or 

Felchin's Grenada (rondo) 38% ? (2.5Kg bag I think)

I've been searching everywhere, no-one either delivers 3Kg bags to the Uk, or charges under $120! In fact, even that store (Qualifirst / chocospere) do not sell to Uk.

I'd be v grateful if someone did know a reliable distributor. Thanks.

6. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I can't speak to their chocolate but the Souffletine they sell is fantastic.  If you haven't used this before - it is like a rice puff ball that has similar properties to feuilletine, so it will stay crisp in many applications and is a great alternative. 

7. niko1227

niko1227

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    They have a wholesale warehouse located in new jersey, you can order 3k bags with a mininum purchase of $200. For example a 3k bag of 85% arcango sells for under $73 dollars.If anyone is interested taking a look at their catalog I can fwd you the entire inventory with prices and phone number.

Last edited: May 31, 2014