Michael Ruhlman

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cape chef, Dec 7, 2009.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've enjoyed reading Ruhlman for a # of years, and I have been following his blog for a couple of years. He did his first video today. making Pate a Choux. Nice technique for all to know.

Thought I would share his link for those interested.

Ruhlman.com

2. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Cape Chef, I watched the video and immediately bookmarked the site. Michael Ruhlman's site is a perfect example of what the FoodNetwork should be.

Thanks,
    dan

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dan,

You'll enjoy reading his blog. Very down to earth and extremely knowledgeable.

Look for his books as well, his latest is Ratio and I have done a number of techniques from his Charcruterie book, which I know you will enjoy.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I watched the video......ummm a few times . He did this so naturally, his technique is pretty much "right on".

Confession: I had a desire to go make some when the clip was over. He has that effect on some.....

I caught that bottle behind him as well.

Thank you for sharing.

5. benrias

benrias

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ruhlman is the MAN! I have truly enjoyed his writing style and his ability to bring the kitchen to life with a mere pen and ink. Add him on Facebook for additional personal wit. :thumb:

6. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    LOL. When I was watching the video I was waiting for my wife, Cheri, to bring the kids back from swim class. With swim class being right in the middle of the afternoon/evening hours I was going to make us dinner after the kids went to bed.

I didn't have much...and I wasn't quite sure about a game plan. I had some defrosted bay scallops sitting atop some paper towels, a little bit of a red pepper, a little garlic, fresh ginger, pad of butter, fresh parsley and a bottle of white wine.

I made both the little cheese puffs and the Parisian gnocchi . I was worried that these gnocchi were too close to the same size and shape as the bay scallops, but everything worked out quite nicely together.

I really am glad that I decided to make both of them...easy as pie! Hmmm :rolleyes: maybe not...it was quite a bit easier than pie.

dan

7. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Love Michael Ruhlman! Thanks for the video link!

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you so much for the link, Cape Chef! Funny he should mention potato cakes; I just read a thread here about using leftover mashed potatoes to make pancakes.

While some of my questions about choux pastry remain (How long will they hold, pre-baked but empty? Can they be frozen before filling? etc.), this technique video is wonderfully done.