Meyer Lemons Are In Season!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kaneohegirlinaz, Dec 9, 2013.

1. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My mother has been looking for Meyer Lemon Marmalade at every single farmer’s market that we go to, NONE!  Now I know why, this stuff is labor-intensive!  The fantastic daughter that I am, I made a batch of Sugar Free Meyer Lemon Marmalade for mom, five jars, minus one to Joey or

@durangojo.  I had my taste on biscuit, Joey told me she tried it on lamb chops and what Joey? Fish?

So since we ran out of jam, I made another batch with sugar to see how it was…

Very Yummy!  I want to try the sugared jam on grilled chicken next.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh YAY!

Thanks for the heads up, K-girl!

I haven't seen them yet at my neighborhood fruit market but now I will be on the lookout.

It seems earlier than usual for them, doesn't it? Among other things, they make a marvelous pound cake.

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Meyer lemons are ripe on our Meyer lemon tree. So are tangerines, just barely, and grapefruits. Not many oranges this year, in fact the orange trees are almost naked this year. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

I already have a lot of preserved Meyer lemons from last year, so I'll probably do a lemon tart soon, with meringue of course!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

4. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

... made from scratch Meyer Lemon curd, then crust and pie with meringue, gone in a Hollywood Minute!  evern I liked it and not a fan of lemon meringue pie, but they Meyer Lemon is not as bitter.

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    uuuuu, lemon pound cake, mmm, I think I'll try that next!  Thanks (mahalo) @ChicagoTerry

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Bitter? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif  Do you mean... sour perhaps? I've never tasted any bitterness in any lemon tart, meyer or not???

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @French Fries  , mmm, I think the fruit itself or juice from the Meyer Lemons are less sour and the flesh as in the marmalade is less bitter... I think is how I meant to put it.  This was my first attempt at jam making as well as curd... we shall do this again!  I even found out after all these years that my mother also adores lemon meringue pie, I never knew that, I thought that she only craved rhubarb pie.

8. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    Awesome pie.

Doing meyer lemon pancakes soon, very excited about citrus, blood oranges soon.

9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    mahalo (thanks) @beastmasterflex  

I just bought another pound of Meyer Lemons today, but I'm not sure with all of the hub-bub-bub that i'll have time to make a pound cake or more sugar free jam for mom...

is it possible to freeze the fruit for later use?  

Anybody?

10. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would say no on freezing citrus whole. I just heard a citrus grower explain why frozen crops are useless.  The juice expands when it freezes and bursts the cell walls and you end up with a spongy mess.

What I might try would be grating the zest and freezing that, then juicing the lemons and freezing the juice.

11. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My tree is having an "off year".  It was pruned a bit too hard last year and seems to be taking a break.

The juice and zest freeze remarkably well.

12. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My little 3 year old indoor tree is going crazy. There are about a 100 tiny fruits on the branches!!!

Don't forget to make Meyer lemon ice cream.

dcarch

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great idea. Do you have a recipe by any chance?

14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I do Meyer Lemon Granita... but add me to the list who would LOVE to have a recipe for Meyer Lemon Ice Cream or Gelato!

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Another great idea. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

16. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

yup, that's the ticket!

Here's my conundrum though guys... I don't have anymore time left in my schedual to make anything else.

If I were to zest and jucie the fruit then freeze it, once thawed, could I still make marmalade with that, and if so , HOW?  Please?

17. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    When I stripp my tree: I zest the fruit and freeze the zest in small jars of juice.  The rest of the fruit gets juiced and I freeze 20 oz bottles of juice.  Later I use it for lemonade or any other lemon juice/zest needs.  Some of the rind gets candied and that gets frozen too.  I don't know about marmalade making since I have not done that but can't see any reason why not.

18. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It was brie....i smeared and dolloped my way to heaven with Kgirl's wonderful meyer lemon marmalade. Beyond good. I also used it as a chutney for both baby lamb chops and a rosemary spiced pork tenderloin. Again, beyond good. Sadly i am looking at the bottom of the jar but hopefully there will be enough to glaze a piece of cod. Can i send back the empty jar for a refill? ;)

joey

19. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How long are you gonna be gone Kgirl? One week? Two? As you well know, lemons last a very, very, very long time just refrigerated so were it me, i think i would just put them in the refrigerator crisper drawer and call it good.
    ....seasoned greetings and travel safe

joey

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  20. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And the season is just starting, too. I remember buying them the last couple of years well into February, at least.