Chef Forum banner

Meritage, and the like

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  cape chef 
#1 ·
So what's your favorite meritage?
Mine is insignia from Joseph Phelps.
Also do you know where the name Meritage came from?
cc

#3 ·
Sisi,
meritage first came to be used in 1989
It is a certification mark registered with the Us department of trademarks and patents.It was first coined by a group of vintners who sought to establish standards and identification for a category of American blended wines made with traditional Bordeaux grape varieties. The word "Meritage"
is a compound word of merit and heritage.Sisi because these wines are not made of 75 percent of a certain grape they can not put a single variety on the label. I.E. Cabernet,Merlot etc.But these wines are generally very good and some are outstanding, So the vintners wanted a special name for these wines.....so in style they are modeled after Bordeaux...
cc

#5 ·
Sisi, I would have to believe you could purchase meritage wines in Canada with out to much difficulty, Remember meritage is the style (or Blending) of wine. Just ask your local merchant for some at different price points and see what you think. Many are quite age worthy and are defiantly food friendly wines
cc

#6 ·
I could not agree with you more.
I would say dollar for dollar
Estanzia makes the best Meritage.
Excellent Balance and fine integrated Tannins....Nice dark fruit,spicy nose
And warm deep soft palate,toasted oak,cooked plum and blackberry-cherry and a touch of anise .has a nice long finish, Also comes in a attractive black bottle with gold lettering (I think) **** ,About $20.00 right?
cc

#10 ·
crudeau,

With respect, I would appreciate you or others would refrain from that kind of thing
I am sure it was done in fun...But you never no how people with take things
Thank you
cc

#11 ·
Dick,

Sorry about the problems with you user name. We have a censor feature implemented on the Cafe and it was filtering out your name. We have removed your name from our censor option. Hopefully we won't get any abuse with the word on the boards.

------------------
Thanks,

Nicko
ChefTalk Cafe Administrator
nicko@cheftalk.com
www.cheftalk.com "A food lover's link to professional chefs!"

#12 ·
D**k, I live and work in fairfield county Ct.
About 3 hours south of bosten. I went to J&W 78-80 so we used to go to Bostan on occasion to party,Great City,
Mountain Veiw makes a nice pinot as does Napa Ridge,Adelsheim,Knudsen Erath,willamette valley Vinyards,Bridge View,Sokol Blooser,Van Duzer,Byron,Cambria,Meridian,Saintsbury. Those are some Pinots i can recommend in that price range. Some might be a little higher
cc

#13 ·
I used to have a policy as a captain in a 4-star restaurant.... The least amount of money I would let you spend on a bottle of wine was $40 - and then I would add $5 for every "wine word" that you used in my presence. And the grape heads would just keep talking, bless their hearts!

#15 ·
D**k, We're doing well thanks, I have had Byron on many occasions, Pinot and Chard
excellent wine. Unfortunately many of the "super Star" Pinots are getting a little pricey, I like Ponzi from Oregon but now it's 40 bucks a bottle,Like Burgundy which the Premier Grand crus and Grand crus are just way to expensive, Even Volnays and Santenays are 20 and up, forget Clos Vougeot, Or Chassagne (sp)I had a dream that I won the lottery and was able to buy one bottle of Domain Romanne Conti. I think that we will continue to see the prices rise on the finer pinots and theres not much we can do about it.At least the producers are bottling decent pinots that don't make it in there premium label
cc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.