Meringue situation

Joined Sep 25, 2018
Meringue

I've made Kaisserschmarren twice and for this desert well, you need to beat egg whites for it to rise. I've got three questions.

1. I have a big problem with the "beat egg whites" part, but I don't know where to begin:
I add salt and lemon juice before I start beating them at medium-high speed, when they get foamy, bubbley and opaque then i add my sugar and raise the speed to high. My meringue just turns completely white but liquid, I'm serious, just liquid. How can I solve this?

2. I live in a city 7000 ft. above sea level, is this relevant?

3. Assuming I get over my meringue problem, could I make Italian meringue instead of just beating the egg whites?

Thank you all.

Cdp

Joined Aug 31, 2017
hhhmmm, ok
i would look at 1/2 lemon juice

with whites and whip add a little sugar as a stablizer
add salt last

salt will automatically make it weep and fall due to moisture content

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Is the salt and lemon intended as a cleaner for copper bowl instead of as a meringue ingredient?????

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Lemon juice for the whites strength and salt as stabilizer.
Great theory... but it doesn’t seem to be working for you. How about leaving out the lemon, as with the traditional recipe. A pinch of salt... okay. But how much lemon juice are you using (and how many whites)?

I’ve made a fair amount of meringue in my life... and never has lemon juice been in it. Cream of tartar, but not lemon juice.

Joined Sep 25, 2018
Great theory... but it doesn’t seem to be working for you. How about leaving out the lemon, as with the traditional recipe. A pinch of salt... okay. But how much lemon juice are you using (and how many whites)?

I’ve made a fair amount of meringue in my life... and never has lemon juice been in it. Cream of tartar, but not lemon juice.
Half a lemon. It certainly isn't working for me, so I won't use lemon next time. Thx.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I live in a city 7000 ft. above sea level, is this relevant?
I lived at 8,000 ft for 10 years. They are doable, just not as forgiving as at lower altitude. Whip the egg whites until foamy and starting to build volume before adding acid. Whip to about 4x the volume before adding sugar in a steady stream. If you continue to have problems, sub some of the granulated sugar with confectioners sugar. Another high altitude tip is to add a small amount of powered egg whites into the whites.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I'm thinking about the basics - are you sure your bowl and whisk are completely grease free and the whites are yolk free? If you are using fresh lemons, you could be getting oil from the peel into the whites.

Joined Mar 4, 2015
So, if this recipe is what i think it is, a pancake leavened with whipped egg whites.

I ran into something similar with a spoonbread recipe at high altitude. I got the whites to whip, but they didn't do much for leavening.

What I finally did was warmed the eggs to room temp, and beat them whole (yolks and whites) with the sugar in the recipe as my acid to stabilize. a light bit of torching on the bowl, to keep the eggs warm as they whipped without cooking anything. The end result was much more leavening in terms of the volume of air I could incorporate into the batter.

save the lemon and salt as flavor components for the pancake.

Joined Sep 25, 2018
I'm thinking about the basics - are you sure your bowl and whisk are completely grease free and the whites are yolk free? If you are using fresh lemons, you could be getting oil from the peel into the whites.
I'm absolutely sure, but thanks for the reminder though.

Joined Sep 25, 2018
Meringue

I've made Kaisserschmarren twice and for this desert well, you need to beat egg whites for it to rise. I've got three questions.

1. I have a big problem with the "beat egg whites" part, but I don't know where to begin:
I add salt and lemon juice before I start beating them at medium-high speed, when they get foamy, bubbley and opaque then i add my sugar and raise the speed to high. My meringue just turns completely white but liquid, I'm serious, just liquid. How can I solve this?

2. I live in a city 7000 ft. above sea level, is this relevant?

3. Assuming I get over my meringue problem, could I make Italian meringue instead of just beating the egg whites?

Thank you all.
Special thanks to everyone who has replied, I'll try the tips you gave me, guys.
Again, thanks a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom