Mercer vs. Victorinox...anyone have any experience with both?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by christian holmes, Oct 23, 2010.

1. I'm looking at replacing some of my Mercer knives with Victorinox ones. I realize both brands are fairly low end, but I'm just a culinary student, and trying to get the right gear in place before I get used to the feel of it.

Does anyone have any experience with both Mercer and Victorinox? I'd love to hear some opinions!

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Chris,

Tough call.  They're very different knives.  Forschners a lot lighter and are made with a better alloy -- so have all the advantages those two things bring.  If the choice was really just between Forschner and Mercer, I'd take Forschner based on its weight and edge-taking and holding characteristics.

However, if you're planning on stepping up to a high-end chef's knife in the near future or you can afford more for a chef's choice, I'd look for somethng better than Forschner and Mercer -- with edge characteristics and profile as the primary criteria. 

But... and it's one heck of a big butt... everything is contingent on sharpening.  If we're going to go on to "which knife is best for me," we need to start there. 

BDL