Memory loss... what's it called?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
What's it called when you mix beaten eggwhites with pastry cream and the brown it under the salamander?

Kuan

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
So I would say...

Fresh seasonal fruit with creme pastissiere glacage, or glacage of pastry cream?

Kuan

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Kuan, When I make a glacage for a savoury application I make it by making a tight bechemal,then folding in hollandaise and whipped cream as TBH said.

Kimmies "Glacer" may be more the specific word your looking for as it applyies (I believe)to only the sweet side of the kitchen

Joined Mar 13, 2001
CC,

Technically, en cuisine, the mere act of browning a dish under the salamander is called "glacer" on the savory side of the kitchen too! :)

Edited to add the french version:

«Passer un plat au four ou à la salamandre pour lui donner de la couleur.»

Joined Jul 28, 2001
kuan,
very popular here, Fresh Fruit Glacage. Most places take the quick route and use a thined pastry cream or thick creme anglaise, sugar it like a brulee and torch.
Jeff

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Kimmie,

Funny, with all my books I found the definition in a old small book the I love called Le Repertoire De Le Cuisine

Glacer " To colour a dish under a salamader."
So Bingo...thats the word, although like Panini said glacage should work in the menu copy as well.
cc

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Ya know when it comes to French, does anyone really know. Every time I have a question about a word, the responce is , yes you can say that ,BUT some say this, AND others say that.
My wife and MIL use French for everyday. My MIL from a Parisian back ground and my FIL from Egyptian background. All three have an opinion when it come to questionable words.
For this one my wife laughed when I asked if the little 5 should be hanging off the C, she said, you know the E takes the place.
I couldn't tell you what should be hanging of where, I understand French but refuse to try to speak or write it.LOL
I love you French speaking people!!!!:D :bounce: ;)

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Love you too, Panini! :)

Funny indeed, CC!

I also found the definition in a small culinary lexicon booklet. It's old and lost it's cover so I can't even tell you the title. I bought it in a garage sale for 25 cents but the information in it is worth gold!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Well, well, well, the things we learn. :D

Et alors Panini, refuses-tu de le lire aussi? ;)

Joined May 26, 2001
Years ago, I used to eat often at Middle Eastern restaurants on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn (NYC). A lot of the places were related, literally -- cousins, uncles, etc. So, very often a dish on one menu would appear on the others. The one thing that always mystified me was something-or-other with "glassage sauce." It took years and years to figure out they meant glacage (yes, Panini, with the little 5, aka ce'dille, hanging off the c).;)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Panini:

The little 5, or cedille (sp), indicates that the the character "C" off of which it hangs is pronounced as an "S". Otherwise in French, the "C" is pronounced like a "K" when followed by "A", "O" or "U". In this context the "c" in glacage would have a cedille appended to it.

Joined May 26, 2001
Kimmie, maybe you can help me change the character set I use here? I really wish I COULD spell properly in French. :(

Top Bottom