Memories of Sickbed Foods

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, Jul 19, 2004.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I know there was a string about this quite some time ago, but I couldn't find it, (and we have so many new members), so I'd like to ask everyone these questions again:

What did your mother (or caregiver) feed you while you were recovering from an illness? Do you ascribe any healing properties to those foods? Do you crave them when you get sick now?
    What do you serve your family and friends when they are getting over being sick?
    Are any of these foods tied to a cultural tradition that you know of?

I'm thinking of writing an article about this, perhaps including some information about Chinese Functional Food traditions and Western hospital foods.

Personally, besides some form of Campbells chicken soup (my 50s Jewish mother drew the line at making any kind of soup from scratch), I remember getting elbow macaroni and cottage cheese when I was just past the melba toast (what a vile invention!) stage of stomach flu. I haven't had that concoction in years, but it still sounds comforting to me.

2. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Custard (Creme Anglaise) with some stewed fruit like rhubarb or apples. I used to take tiny sips of it to make it last longer.

Jock

3. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Campbells chicken noodle soup and 7 up for the beverage was what mom served when we were sick.I still prefer the chicken noodle soup(but a home made version) without the soda!I prefer fruit juice and water when attempting to recouperate. Does it work? Well Im still kicking at 44 so I guesse it does have some benifits.Doug.....................

4. bigbuns

bigbuns

Vanilla custard...first I'd peel the skin off (even today, I still like the skin!) Mom didn't cook much, so it was the packaged kind. Very gelatinous, so I'd cut it in blocks and eat them one at a time. GOLDEN ginger ale, and, of course, Campbell's chicken soup. Is there a child out there that didn't have this growing up? Today my comfort food is fresh french bread with butter and marmalade.