Melt-in-your-mouth braised / slow-cooked meat dishes?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
With the winter setting in around here, I'm craving all kinds of meat dishes where the meat is braised or slow cooked, preferably where the meat is fork tender, sweetly caramelized or doused in a deeply aromatic luxurious velvety sauce... only I tend to always go back to the classics I know. Who wants to help make a list of alternative world recipes to braise beef, pork, lamb or even chicken? As a basis for ideas... classics or original ideas all welcome.

Ok I'll go first. Off the top of my head:

• Bœuf Bourguignon (duh)
• Blanquette de veau
• Pot-au-feu
• Carnitas
• Barbacoa
• Cochinita pibil
• Picadillo
• Ropa Vieja
• Tajine dishes
Chicken basquaise
• Chili con carne

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Hachee (We used to eat the Indonesian version, but there is a Dutch version as well https://www.daringgourmet.com/hachee-dutch-beef-onion-stew/)
Curry
Sauerbraten

Rendang
Semoor
Babi Kecap
OK, I can keep going with Indonesian dishes, but I won't. Instead I'll link to a good site. Lots of Indonesian meat dishes are stewed/slow cooked. Try them ;) https://www.asiancook.eu/indonesian/daging (daging = beef)

Hutspot met klapstuk (traditional Dutch, https://www.thedutchtable.com/2010/10/hutspot-met-klapstuk-carrot-mashed.html)

I'm sure I'll be able to come up with some more later on

Joined Sep 5, 2008
RENDANG!! I've been meaning to make that for a while. Thanks, and thanks for the link. All amazing ideas. I don't know how I forgot to list curry. Maybe I'll update the original post in this thread to add all the dishes listed. That should make for an inspirational list.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Osso Buco

Try the Squid and Chorizo Stew I posted in the challenge. Bonus - if you use octopus it has to
cook longer.

Any joint of meat that is rich in collagen. Beef cheek, shank, neck, etc. Can you get venison?

Ragout of rabbit with dried morel mushroom.

Classic Bolognese.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 29, 2019
ox cheek all the way. Sear it all over with a bit of oil in the pan. onion, carrot, the usual. leave half-immersed in liquid and cook in dutch over without a lid. low heat - 120C, 7-8 hours. turn every once in a while

would also add some shin/osso buco to the pot if its around.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
There is a dish from the Germanic lands that is possibly the ultimate in slow-cooked items, but I don't recall it's name or exact origin. Essentially chopped beef that is actually sauteed, but for many, many hours, Very, very labor intensive. Anyone able to recall this one?

Then there is something my Nana would make in a pan, a bone-in chuck steak with some carrots, onion, cellery, bay leaf and ketchup; browned, covered and cooked for 90min total. I make it to this day, but with pepper thyme and garlic added, if I care. I will never grow tired of it.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
There is a dish from the Germanic lands that is possibly the ultimate in slow-cooked items, but I don't recall it's name or exact origin. Essentially chopped beef that is actually sauteed, but for many, many hours, Very, very labor intensive. Anyone able to recall this one?
Do you recall what it is usually eaten with? Potatoes, rice, knoedles (or whatever the English spelling is, bit like gnochi)?
Are you sure it is not sauerbraten? Maybe jachtschotel (Dutch name, German may be jaegertopf? / hunters casserole/meat and potato casserole)?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I love braises! Two of my favorites are braised lamb shank and a traditional American beef stew served over torn up biscuits.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Years ago I did a leg of lamb braised in white wine, as I recall it was in the oven for about 5 hours. And I've done brisket with mushrooms and onions for 12 hours in a 200F oven.

mjb.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Butzy, you're from that area, but those aren't the ones. This dish is all meat, ground meat reduced to a paste. You know, I could be off on the country of origin, might be Austria, even Belgium (not German at all). Gosh I hope I come across it again.

Anyway, flanken for dinner, sections cut across the bone. Red for liquid (decent Cab-Syra), beef concentrate, juniper berries, green peppercorns, bit of thyme and sage, carrots tossed over towards the end. The Juniper berries and GP paired very well. I only recently became aware of juniper berries, quite like them with beef and lamb.

Top Bottom