Melt in your mouth beef shanks: possible?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I wanted to braise some beef and got beef shanks. They've been simmering for over an hour on a burble (barely a bubble) but they feel tough like leather. Now I know 1 hour is not enough, but some recipes say 2 hours, others 5 hours, I've even seen 9 hours, I don't have that kind of time until dinner time... but I do have another three hours to play with.

Well anyway I guess my question is do I stand a chance? Will this end up falling off the bone and melting in my mouth like a chuck roast or short ribs would, or am I doomed to get some leathery beef?

Thanks guys.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I've braised successfully at a higher temp, you just have to keep a closer eye on the liquid than with a slow braise.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Awesome, thanks guys. Ended up cooking it for nearly 3 hours, first on the stovetop then in the 350F oven, and it was tender, I made pulled beef sorta, like a cross between Ropa Vieja and barbacoa.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008

...and the marrow?

mimi
Oh the marrow. If I didn't mention it, it's only because it was gone so fast I can barely remember it. But I did like my grand-ma showed me. The hot melted marrow spreaded on top of grilled baguette along with a generous seasoning of salt and freshly ground white and black peppercorns. Can't get any better than that (in my opinion of course). /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif My wife is a bit squeamished so she passed but what a treat for the kids and I!

Last edited:
Joined Sep 21, 2001
I have a copper dutch oven that I use for braising. I brown whatever it is I'm braising, then put it in the dutch oven and into a 270F oven.

Its done when I can pull it apart with a fork. The marrow is my favorite part of beef shanks. I also like the cartilage when its super well cooked and sticky. I figure it has to be good for me!

The last thing I braised were ox tail. They were delicious.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Originally Posted by Peachcreek  

into a 270F oven.
270F heh? It's funny how everybody uses different oven temps for braises. I'll have to try that.
The marrow is my favorite part of beef shanks.
BTW how do you guys cook the marrow? What I did was brown the shanks, remove the meat from the bones and reserve the bones, and add them back about 20mn before the end to cook them. I was afraid if I let them for the whole 3 hours cooking time the marrow would melt into the sauce... which would have been good for the sauce I'm sure... but I want to eat the marrow separately.

PS: LOVE oxtails!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom