Melt in your mouth beef shanks: possible?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Nov 20, 2016.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I wanted to braise some beef and got beef shanks. They've been simmering for over an hour on a burble (barely a bubble) but they feel tough like leather. Now I know 1 hour is not enough, but some recipes say 2 hours, others 5 hours, I've even seen 9 hours, I don't have that kind of time until dinner time... but I do have another three hours to play with.

Well anyway I guess my question is do I stand a chance? Will this end up falling off the bone and melting in my mouth like a chuck roast or short ribs would, or am I doomed to get some leathery beef?

Thanks guys.

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Put it in the oven covered at 350, should be ready in plenty of time.

flipflopgirl and french fries like this.
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    In the 350F oven now, thanks! :D

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've braised successfully at a higher temp, you just have to keep a closer eye on the liquid than with a slow braise.

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Awesome, thanks guys. Ended up cooking it for nearly 3 hours, first on the stovetop then in the 350F oven, and it was tender, I made pulled beef sorta, like a cross between Ropa Vieja and barbacoa.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    koukouvagia likes this.
  6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    ...and the marrow?

mimi

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oh the marrow. If I didn't mention it, it's only because it was gone so fast I can barely remember it. But I did like my grand-ma showed me. The hot melted marrow spreaded on top of grilled baguette along with a generous seasoning of salt and freshly ground white and black peppercorns. Can't get any better than that (in my opinion of course). /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif My wife is a bit squeamished so she passed but what a treat for the kids and I!

8. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have a copper dutch oven that I use for braising. I brown whatever it is I'm braising, then put it in the dutch oven and into a 270F oven.

Its done when I can pull it apart with a fork. The marrow is my favorite part of beef shanks. I also like the cartilage when its super well cooked and sticky. I figure it has to be good for me!

The last thing I braised were ox tail. They were delicious.

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    270F heh? It's funny how everybody uses different oven temps for braises. I'll have to try that.
    BTW how do you guys cook the marrow? What I did was brown the shanks, remove the meat from the bones and reserve the bones, and add them back about 20mn before the end to cook them. I was afraid if I let them for the whole 3 hours cooking time the marrow would melt into the sauce... which would have been good for the sauce I'm sure... but I want to eat the marrow separately.

PS: LOVE oxtails!!

10. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     I'm a marrow thief. 'Checking the oxtails' is a codeword for 'I just ate the center out of my oxtails!".

....smiles with slightly grease stained lips.

koukouvagia likes this.
  11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I see!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've always wanted to make marrow risotto