Mellowing the taste of tomato in tomato sauce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bluefringes, May 9, 2014.

1. bluefringes

bluefringes

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have tasted a Mexican cooked salsa and an Italian pizza sauce that both had almost no tomato flavor. The base was obviously tomato by appearance only. The tomato sauces acted almost exclusively as a medium for other flavors. The absence of acidity was also perfect. How do I get this result in my tomato sauce? Can this be done with canned tomatoes or do I need fresh?

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Use fresh tomatoes... refrigerate them - this will kill the tomato taste and then add your herbs / flavourings.

Heated or canned tomatoes have the flavours 'fixed' in them, so they won't work for a red-herb sauce.

The other modern alternative is to use tomatoes grown for size, colour, shape and durability out of season.  They however created have a natural lack of flavour!  :)

To find them - simply pick them up and give them a sniff... no scent ... no flavour!

=====

All joking aside ... never refrigerate a tomato... please!

3. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Why on earth do you want a tomato sauce that doesn't taste like tomatoes?

Acidity can be managed with a dash of sugar, but you do want to have some acidity if you are using the sauce with a fatty meat or using cheese in the dish. Fat and sugar need some acidity to balance them out and open up their flavor.

4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You may try roasting the tomatoes before making the sauce.

5. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The best way to mellow down taste is to add some (30% fat) cream at the very end of the cooking time of your tomato sauce, prepared as usual. Let simmer for a while, et voilà. Cream is... a true flavor killer!

Last edited: May 9, 2014