Melissa Produce

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shroomgirl, Apr 29, 2006.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Those of you that have known me for years may wonder, "Hey shroomgirl what's up with the thread from the local foods advocate about a national company that sells exotic produce/products?"

Well, one of my gigs for 2006 is program chair of the STLCS...Melissa Produce just had a cookbook published and is on tour. So, one of my food editors asked if I'd be interested in hosting a program....it is so dang cool.

The company sent me a copy of the cookbook....it talks about how to select, store, prepare funky shtuff. Next week I receive a palate of mini melons, wild shrooms, precooked beets/lentils, quinces + They also asked what I wanted to try...so this was my list....

Dragon Fruit
    limequat
    rambutan
    cardoon
    turmeric
    fresh hearts of palm
    wasabi
    microgreens especially popcorn
    tindora
    lotus root
    fresh baby corn
    yuzu
    loquats

I'd love to have some of the local growers in to see what's hip/hot and coming into the marketplace. Obviously some of the above is tropical but the box alot of them are in needs windows to what's attractive to chefs thus the public and has a better return for their labor.
    They could also learn a lesson in marketing. oh man, Melissa Produce has amazing PR and Marketing....they are generous, into educating the public, sharing cookbooks...it's really a breath of fresh air.

May 9th the exec chef is flying into STL for our class/tasting/demo. I'll let you know what's exciting.
    Have you guys had any of the above products? I've got yuzu in my fridge, had fresh baby corn 10 years ago in NYC at Fairway, loquats grew in Baton Rouge in the middle of the medians, one of the local grower/vintner raises outstanding microgreens/sprouted sunflower shoots/funky lettuces.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    So, let's not limit it....what fun products are coming into your kitchen these days?

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Miniature Basmati rice. :D 10 minute cooking time!

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How exciting Shroom, can't wait to hear how it goes.

I have had most of the products listed.

Cardoons I use for bagna in November, hate popcorn micros's taste like saccharin to me.Love lotus for chip garnish

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    so do you peel the lotus? Seems as if it's rock hard.

6. stephanie brim

stephanie brim

Exp:
    At home cook
    This was a while ago, but I'm curious. There are a few Melissa's things that we can get here in Iowa and I've been wanting to try some out. Was it any good?

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    was what any good?

8. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We get those popcorn shoots year round from a local grower. And the restaurant garden just started kickin' out the haricots and lots of edible flowers like pansies, nasturtium and bachelor buttons. The greens are still going strong too.

My favorite thing from far away is piquillo peppers from Navarra. If you want to challenge your Melissa's rep, ask them to find you fresh piquillo peppers (and if they have them, send the rep to me!)

9. hobie16

hobie16

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi, all. Is this the same Melissa's produce that sells products in small red net bags in grocery stores? I didn't know they had a commericial side - interesting. I always thought they were some small retail only operation. I've used some of their products - they work.

10. diane

diane

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I like the mini things now available, avocado and kiwifruit etc. Also the veg. One serving sized whole cauliflower, pumpkins, cabbages etc.