Medieval Food.....

Joined Feb 6, 2002
I've heard that bread can be used as a plate/bowl. Does anyone know if a stew would work with that? I know my kids would like to be able to "eat" their plates.:)

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
In medival times plates and platters were used only to serve food. Folks, at banquets, eat off of bread plates called trenchers. The guests did not eat these, though. They were given to the poor after the banquets. Also the people of highest honor at a banquet were given the top and bottom slices since they had a crust that would all foods from soaking through and making a mess. Thus the term "upper crust" used when talking about the rich or elite of society.

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Gee, Shawty, I read your post title, and my first thought was, 'does she want to start serving medieval food in the diner??'!!!:D

Edible trenchers are great, both for the kids and for parties. Use bread, or little baby pumpkins for soup, or bell peppers for a rice salad; any my hubbie's all time fave, that oh so 80's dill dip served in a pumpernickel round.

Joined Jun 1, 2001
Trenchers need to be specially baked, though; they have to be pretty resilient. They also need to be aged a bit first, rather than used hot off the oven.

Here's a nice jump-off point for early food pages.
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

Here's another, the page of one of the most popular recreationists' cookbook authors:
http://www.thousandeggs.com/

This, here, is one of my favourites: heap fun site:
http://www.godecookery.com/

I've done a fair bit of medieval cookery in my time, but I admit, rarely bothered with the trenchers. Mind, nowadays, there's not much one can do with them post-feast. Your typical modern-day peasant won't take that sort of muck, and food banks aren't too keen on it either.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
St. Louis Bread Company makes a sour dough soup bowl that they hollow out and serve soups and stews in...works

Joined Jan 26, 2001
Has anyone had ethiopian food? Typically served on an injera, an enormous sourdough pancake-like thing. I believe it's meant to be eaten, because you are also served smaller pancakes to eat with.

Delicious.

~~Shimmer~~

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Compassrose, thanks for the sites! I will definately be checking them out.

Joined Dec 4, 2001
Here in San Francisco, tourists feast on clam chowder served in a sour dough round that has been hollowed out (what I'm gathering is called a trencher.) Sour dough seems to be especially suited for this because the crust is tough and chewy so it holds up to the liquid.

Jock

Joined Jul 28, 2001
We have stews and soups in French or sour dough boule all the time. They are more practical when served family style. I have found that it a little much bread for one person after eating.
Our favorite is Shrimp Tomato Basil served in bread. One loaf, usually left out for one or two days. cut not hollowed out. Broiled until toasty and cooled. Rub the inside down with a clove of garlic and fill with soup. We cut off the bread as it lowers.
Gosh. I'll have to make it friday.

Joined Jan 26, 2001
I sometimes go to the bakery and get mini sourdough bread bowls to hold soup in. It's so rainy here, some thick potato soup sure sounds good right now.

~~Shimmer~~

Top Bottom