Meatloaf - First time giggity.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by brandon rice, Apr 2, 2013.

1. brandon rice

brandon rice

Exp:
    At home cook
    Allright folks so tonight im doing meatloaf and kraft dinner. The second is obvious. But never done a meatloaf before. So this should be interesting. I will be back shortly with pictures and evidence of my fail. =P To get us started i looked up a recipe that calls for 

• 1 1/2 pounds  ground beef

• 1  egg

• 1  onion, chopped

• 1 cup  milk

• 1 cup  dried bread crumbs

• salt and pepper to taste

• 2 tablespoons  brown sugar

• 2 tablespoons  prepared mustard

• 1/3 cup  ketchup

I will be upping it to 2 pounds of beef 2 eggs no onion unfortunately unless theres one hiding in my pantry somewhere. MAybe more milk if needed. Suggestion there? I do not have bread crumbs i have croutons which is basicly the same thing. No pepper and no mustard. I will probably up the ketchup to half cup as well. Thoughts suggestions?

2. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Meat-loaf ainte rocket-surgery.  However, on behalf of someone that apparently is making a maiden voyage here (You), maybe wait a day or so until you have all the ingredients you think you will need.  On-top-of-that ... there's about a jazillion time-honored recipes for meat-loaf all over the freakin' place.  Maybe look over some of them for ideas.  I'm not at all telling you what to do ... but just maybe consider these suggestions. 

3. brandon rice

brandon rice

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the word of advice Ice but that is just not how i operate. Its adventure time!!

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Gof for it... you have little to lose.  Don't add the sugar, it has no place in a meatloaf.  Seriosly!  Put the katchup into the meat mixture before baking rather than on top.  You'll like the taste it adds.  Since you don't have onion you need to add some vegetables, like parsley or thyme... or both.  If you have a hog handy, kill it and grind up half a pound of the shoulder to add.  I like 33% (or so) pork in my beef meatloaf.  1 egg per pound (or so).  For that pesky half-pound, add a yolk and not the white.  You may regret not adding pepper.  Good luck... and enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  5. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I don't like when it is all ground beef I like a mix in some pork and I also prefer to use ground chuck. Try it out man lets see what you come up with.

7. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pork?!? YUCK!     2 parts Sirloin (85/15) : 1 part Brisket : 1 part Beef Rib.     YMMV. 

8. brandon rice

brandon rice

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok so reporting back i tried it with the original way mentioned. I grew up on meatloaf with brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar in the ketchup. Mine was just ketchup and brown sugar. IT was great. Not alot just 1/4 cup., The sauce was great. The meat part of it i completely screwed up. It fell apart which was explained ot me i didnt use enough bread crumbs. I did find an onion tucked away in the cabinet. So that went in to.  However this meat was given to us by a family member in a plastic ziploc bag. Normally not a problem. However im guessing it was the cheapest ground beef in the world not at all fresh and probably mcdonalds quality. 50/50 mix most likely. I pulled it out of the oven after 45 minuites to dump the fat. Thought i got it all out, put my sauce on, back in the oven for another 20 minuites to let the sauce soak in and the sugar caramelize a bit. Nupe! opened it up and theres just as much grease bubbling around the edges as before. So this was a rather gross dinner leaving me feeling somewhat ill. Iceman is right i need to make sure with this that i have the right ingredients to start with....and lean beef. Very lean beef. Thank you for the links. I will post pictures of this failcake later and i will keep this topic open for the next time i try with one of IceMan's suggested recipes mixed with my own tastes and preferences.

9. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I cook meatloafs on a rack, off the pan, so that the grease is not part of the somewhat crispy bottom.  I pick the meat I do because that is what I like.  Nicko likes pork added, so that is right for him.  Some people use other meats.  Part of the reason for adding bread crumbs or bread itself is to hold in the moisture, along with spreading out the loaf.  I also like to wrap said meatloaf in bacon.  Remember still now that we're talking about peasant food, not haute cuisine.  You don't have to cook a meatloaf to death.  "Just cooked" is always juicier meat than cooked like a brick.  

Read a bunch of recipes from a lot of people.  The kinda good ones, like from TV people, lots of times explain why they do what they do.  Like I said, meatloaf ainte rocket-surgery.  After you read enough recipes you'll have lots of ideas in your head.  You can practice and make your own recipe. 

Here is the way we make it on the shelter circuit: 

meat, equal volume of croutons (we make our own from old bread, seasoned w/ salad dressing), tomato soup (from cans), onion soup mix (from dry pkgs).  

All of it goes into a stand mixer w/ the bread hook.  When everything is mixed nice we shape into however many 2-serving loafs.  Bake 350*  20-min.  Paint w/ ketchup.  Bake for 20 more minutes.  G2G.  NO leftovers. 

10. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was with you up to that point. That is a terrible mistake! Next-day meatloaf sandwiches are a gift in life that should be worshiped!

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Is that beef bacon?

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What's a kraft dinner?

13. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

14. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Kraft just doe not seem like it fits it is totally processed food. Next time try making the macaroni yourself it is actually pretty simple.

15. yeller

yeller

Exp:
    Other
    I do add some ground sausage too and sometimes ground veal to the beef. I do use a 90/10 or better ground beef. I also chunks onions and green peppers around the loaf during the bake. I don ot add sugar but add Worchester sauce and egg to the mix with oats for a binder/filler.

16. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL.   Ground pork in the mix is quite different than wrapping the loaf in bacon.   Thank you for pointing out my lapse of clarification.  

17. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Whats wrong with pork? Always do a mix and pork brings in some well needed fat.

18. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think a lot of people make meatloaf using basically the same recipe one would use for meatballs, which usually is a blend of beef and pork. In some grocery stores they sell "meatloaf kits" that have 2/3 beef and 1/3 pork in one package. Each to their own though!

19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL.  I'm dieing here.   The thing wrong with pork is that I don't like it in my meatloaf.  If it's good for you, then I'm happy for you.  Knock out the best pork-laden meatloaf you can.  Chances are that I would probably enjoy it too.  I'm just not gonna make it that way.  To completely clarify things here, I'm not telling anyone not to use pork.  I'm just stating that it's not in my game-plan.

20. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    It's very difficult to mess up a meatloaf.  But its fun to experiment with such simple dishes.  Have some fun....mess around.   Here's a spin-off of a more traditional meatloaf recipe created Carrie Fields

Grilled Meatloaf

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 lb. lean hamburger 90%
    1 small onion, diced
    1 celery stick, diced
    1/2 lb. bacon, uncooked and sliced into roughly 1/2 inch chunks
    1 1/2 cups hot and spicy cheezits
    10 dashes Tabasco

1/2 cup of Natural Harvest extract
    1 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
    1 generous tsp. smoked sea salt (you can use regular and use 1/4 tsp liquid smoke along with)
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup whole milk
    • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    • In food processor mix together burger, onion, and celery until the veggies are VERY fine. (it will be almost a paste) Place in VERY large bowl and set aside.
    • Now process the bacon and cheezits until almost a paste. Add to the burger and add the remaining ingredients.
    • Smoosh together until it is well combined and pack into a large loaf pan. Pack it tight as you can so that the loaf will be nice and tight when you grill it.
    • Bake for 55-60 minutes or until 165 degrees in the center.
    • Let cool until room temp then cover and refrigerate overnight.
    • Slice into 1 inch slices while cold.
    • Grill over medium coals until it is warmed through and has nice grill marks.
    • Serve hot with smashed potatoes, gravy and onion strings.