Meatballs ...

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I'm rather proud of my meatballs ... to a point that some call it cocky.

... Anyway ... Here they are.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
2.jpg
That's 2+ lbs. 85/15 sausage and 2 Italian sausages. The other standard ingredients you should be able to figure out. I use a good med-tub of ricotta cheese too.

** The provolone slices and the sweet peppers are for making sammiches after the meatballs are cooked. I don't include the Panera dinner rolls (brioche) for making the sammiches. Sorry for any confusion.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
5.jpg
Sprinkle cheese (Romano) and Panko crumbs are in the cups. The bigger green pile is parsely and the smaller is basil.
8.jpg
*** I forgot this secret ingredient that goes in here ... OOOPS!
thumbnail3.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
To the stovetop.
24.jpg
And into the pan. Its your basic large cast skillet painted inside with olive oil. I start with the pan screaming hot and when all the meatballs are in I bring it down to medium.
18.jpg
I like to color them up on at least 4 sides.

17.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
While the meatballs are cooking I make my own personal special recipe sauce.
22.jpg
House brand fire-roasted tomatoes and my absolute favorite
(the only edible canned sauce made) pizza sauce. They both go into the sauce-pot and get heated up.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Cover the meatballs in sauce and shove them into a 350* oven for 18-20 minutes. That's the time/temp for My oven. Yours may be different. YMMV.
13.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008
Your meatballs look awesome. Perfectly shaped. I'm with you on the coloring as many sides as possible. When I'm really in the mood I color all 6 sides of what is supposed to be a ball. Your sauce looks simmered down to the point of being confit-like. Slow food. Yum.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
OK this I have never even dreamed of doing this way. Sausage in the meatballs. That just takes it over the top.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Thank You.

I use NO salt because that taste comes from the sprinkle cheese and the Woosty sauce. I also use NO garlic because that comes from the sausage. Neither is missed. As far as the meat ... The sausage is for the pork and seasoning part. I use 85/15 for everything because it's not too much fat. The 15% fat doesn't need to be skimmed; fat is flavor. You will never see veal in my kitchen for anything ever. Even when people really want veal they don't get it. I'll pound out a pork tenderloin and season the bageebies out of it and serve them that. Nobody has ever known or complained. I'm not at all gonna compete with Panera for bakery products. It's not worth the time or effort. I buy their dinner rolls. I cut them in half and spoon out some of the top. The meatballs are big enough to fill the roll. The provolone and sweet red peppers, roasted on the stove, go on the sammich. This recipe I've given you will make 2 batches of 12 or 3 batches of 8. The meatballs are the same size. It's just easier to cook 8 in the pan. This whole thing is 9 meatballs because it looks better for taking pics. I recommend going with 8.

... It's a beautiful thing.

... "We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Joined Feb 8, 2009
You be the man. They look great but then again I always expect greatness from you. I grew up with Meatball Grinders and Sausage & Pepper Grinders. Grinders are a Connecticut thing. The 85-15, is that bulk Italian sausage or ground pork ???? .......Take care buddy, I hope you're doing well.......Bill

Joined Jan 4, 2011
The #'s associated with ground beef relate to the lean/ fat ratio. The cheapest yucky ground beef I've seen is 73/27; the std. for restaurants is 80/20. There is 90/10 and even 93/7. For me those are as bad as the 73/27 because it's so freakin' dry and lacks real "beef" flavor. ... The beef for Me is 85% lean/15% fat; but I digress.

** I just realized how confusing I sounded originally talking about the sausage and going right into the ground beef without any further explanation. ... DUH. Sorry about that.

... By-the-way ... grinders are grinders ... love grinders. We've got 'em in Chicagoland too. I've never known them to be a geographic dish. ... And for conversational value, tangenting off the OP ... CHICAGO deep-dish and/or pan and/or stuffed pizzas are NOT casseroles.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
It's just been pointed out to me that the very first post should say ... "2+ lbs. 85/15 "GROUND BEEF"; NOT sausage. I realize more and more mistakes as time goes on.

DO NOT GET OLD.

Jack up the vid. D3 supplements.

... "We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
Good recipe - when I make meatballs I soak torn bread in milk. When soft I lift the bread out and don't squeeze like so many people do. This makes for a very tender meatball. If the mix is too loose then I'll add a little bit of bread crumbs - it depends on how big the egg was too.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I just found this clown on YouTube making MY meatballs.
... Who the who is this guy?!?

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Thank You my friend. ... "Meatballs" is the second of a series of four(4) vids. You kinda gotta watch the first vid "Prep" to see me assemble all the ingredients. They're the same as this post ... just smaller scale.

Top Bottom