Meatball Sandwich Question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by azfoodie, May 13, 2012.

1. azfoodie

azfoodie

Exp:
    At home cook
    I make a mean meatball sandwich.  I make the meatballs using hot Italian sausage, and either beef or veal.  Add some spices, Parmesan, and bake till done.  Then cook in a spicy tomato sauce.  Split open a long French baguette.  Add meatballs, more Parm, and mozzarella and bake till the cheese is bubbly.

My question - has anyone made a sandwich using a different sauce other than tomato based?  Any suggestions and/or recipes would be much appreciated.  Thank you much!

2. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have used left-over gravy from a pot roast and turkey gravy during the holidays on my Sandwiches.

And then there comes a time when I don't use any sauce at all and only top the meatballs with lots of well sauted onions.

You can also use charred bell peppers and ( great with addtional anchovies  )
    Try to use grilled eggplant  slices marinated in balsamic vinegar to be different (Make sure you have  lots of chopped garlic in your marinade )

Once in a hurrry and really lazy , a 1000 island dressing tasted fine too.

Just about anything goes at my house.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Local Vietnamese place makes a 'xui mai' banh mi in a semi sweet garlic chile sauce. It's awesome.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't often choose tomato based sauces, I prefer making a mushroom sauce.  But one way to make your sandwich better is to make your baguette into garlic bread first, then use it as sandwich bread. 

5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why mess with perfection ?????????

Take  a look at the meatball shop in NYC, its a restaurant that does a great job with serving meatballs in a lot of different ways. To me there is nothing like a crusty bread, stuffed with homemade well seasoned meatballs and topped with Mozzarella cheese. Italian Sausage and peppers would also work for me.......................the best..................ChefBillyB

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  7. azfoodie

azfoodie

Exp:
    At home cook
    @chefBillyB - great picture!  I prefer tomato sauce too, but I have a friend who doesn't particularly care for tomato sauce.  Hence the search for an alternative.  Thx for replying.

8. azfoodie

azfoodie

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you phatch.

9. zojison

zojison

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I usually use tomato sauce too, prepared in a few different ways.I have however tried at some point a meatball sandwich with cheese dip instead of the classic tomato sauce, and it tasted pretty good.

10. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you make your meatballs with a portion of italian sausage, why not just make *shudder* an american sausage gravy?  You could make it rich or thin, depending on your taste and it leaves a lot of room for expression.  Maybe start with a bechamel, use some sausage grease in place of the butter for a roux, add some roasted garlic, maybe toss in some niblits.  This is all theoretical, I don't know what your meatballs taste like.  I'm just thinking "Italian Sauage Meatball Sammiches with Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce" would be something I'd need to order at least once.  Maybe 2 or 3 times, just to make sure I loved them.

11. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I might tuck those meatballs (veal , turkey ) between a hot baguette , top it off  with fried mushrooms ,  gruyere/ white wine sauce , garnish with chopped parsley, and a dash of paprika.

Did someone say "Fleur du Cap" with that ? I thought I heard correctly ....../img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Petals.