Meat Stock Ingredients: What different results can be expected between veal bones and beef bones

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Hi Schmoozer,

You wrote:
I didn't realize that collagen and gelatin added flavor.  I thought that they were essentially flavorless, and that they added texture and mouth feelk, and that flavor came from the meat attached to the bones and other aspects of the ingredient.
You're substantially right. But in fairness to Benway, his statement isn't completely wrong.  Mouthfeel goes a little way towards influencing the subjective experience of "flavor." 

As I understand it, the undrlying question in the OP went to the differences between beef, veal and beef-veal stocks in terms of whether they can be substituted for one another for sauce making purposes.  

You can make any sauce with one that you could make with any of the others; but they will taste different. 

On the other hand, there are lots of things you can do to equalize mouthfeel and texture: reduction, starch thickening, structuring with tomato paste, butter mounting, and other techniques.  But gelatin is very seldom added to create mouthfeel or to structure a sauce.

Similarly, soups, with the exception of things like madrilenes, are seldom (more like never) enriched with boxed gelatin. 

The subject is interesting, but In terms of the original question its a wild tangent.

BDL 

Last edited:
Joined Feb 26, 2007

Similarly, soups, with the exception of things like madrilenes, are seldom (more like never) enriched with boxed gelatin. 

The subject is interesting, but In terms of the original question its a wild tangent.

BDL 

Now look here - stop making me Wiki things like "madrilene" amd yes it is OT.  Have learnt a new word. oh no./img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom