Meat off cuts

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by hismaimai8888, Nov 17, 2018.

1. hismaimai8888

hismaimai8888

Exp:
    aaaa
    My question is,what do you guys meat trimmings for I cut 3-5 half sirloins a day usually the trimming get roasted and added to the beef stock, on occasion we have trimmed them up and used them for burgers, I also have no use for my lamb rump trimming when I square them up a bit? Any advice would be great :)

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Roast the lamb trimmings and make stock with them. Lamb stock works beautifully in dishes that call for beef stock, especially when it comes to making pan sauces etc.

3. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Last place I worked that we had lamb trim we ground it up and used it in all sorts of applications. We also made sausage with it.

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes lamb sausage with Harissa. Or maybe fresh ground for Greek Pastitso. I make mine with corn starch instead of bechamel - way fewer carbs and you can make it GF with the right pasta.

5. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Shepherd's Pie!

6. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Staff meal mostly when we have trimmings.

7. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Lamb and beef trimmings?

Gyros burger special!

ChefBryan likes this.
  8. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    This may be too old school but pate was the original use for using trim and meat waste. You could make an appetizer special of pate whenever you collect enough trimmings.

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not sure what kind of restaurant you work at but all the above ideas are great. I would add to that, empanadas, pasties, or some other form of pastry wrapped, savory "pie." Going into winter, chili is also an option.

10. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Soups and stews are always a favorite of mine!

11. recky

recky

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I use larger trimmings, silver skin and all, of all my wild boar, deer and venison for a game bolognese. All the fiddly bits such as silver skin without any meat on go into the game stock/demi.

12. capricciosa

capricciosa

Exp:
    Grill Cook, Garde Manger, Professional Baker, Butcher
    When I worked as a butcher, it all became sausage or hamburger meat (usually sold as chuck regardless of actual fat content - which is why avoid chuck at most fresh meat markets unless you really know/trust your butcher).

At the old place I worked, we made quesadillas or demi-glace with the trim.

13. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    St. Philip's College Culinary Arts (AAS, Cum Laude), International Kitchens
    Virrilla!

Marinate your trimmings in salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, or whatever.

Heat up your pan, rondo, whatever, to medium high and sear all the trimmings.

Pour off some of the rendered fat, leaving just enough to saute mirepoix.

Once your onions are tranluscent and brown, deglaze with a red wine and reduce until most of wine is gone.

Pour in stock of your choice, plus any chopped or sliced veggies and herbs you want. Bring to a boil and reduce to low-to medium-low and let reduce for hours, checking for seasoning regularly until you have a heavenly meat and gravy that's screaming for tortillas or a nice crusty bread.

At my last job, on holidays or special events I would French the lamb racks and take the trimmings home. Good times.