Measuring?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Apr 5, 2014.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So I'm watching this cooking video and the chef is going to sweat some onion.  He very carefully measures exactly two tablespoons of oil into his skillet.

And it occurred to me I have no idea when I last measured oil into a pan like that.  Do you measure, or guess?

mjb.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's enough to turn me off from watching.  I like Ina Garten but measuring out pepper?  weird 

I suppose some people need that but it's a paint by numbers type of cooking.  I go freestyle!

3. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Me too. With the exception of baked goods and candy, I can't think of anything I make that I measure. Even when I make jam, I don't use pectin so I can just sweeten to taste.

I can see the need for it in restaurants for quality and cost control. But for me its just extra work and dirty dishes.

Oh I do measure when cooking rice.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It depends on your goals as a cook or a video producer.

Overall,  I think it's highly reasonable for a video oriented guide to measure, or at least pre-measure. For a casual cook, eyeballing is likely to lead to waste and consuming more oil than they should. Experienced cooks really aren't the target market. 

Most of the people producing videos really aren't as experienced as the common poster here at cheftalk in my opinion. 

5. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    This is done for the novice housewives that never cook, and whose idea of dinner is reservations out .!

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Measure? What is t hat? Outside of baking no need.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Or for husbands like mine, who's wife never gives up reign of the kitchen except on nights I'm out.

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For the bean challenge I did a batch of red beans.  A key ingredient in the way I make it is pickle meat.  The original recipe I started with called for 12 black peppercorns.  Really?  Will 13, or 11, or 15 ruin the dish?

mjb.

9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I do measure somewhat when making spice mixes (like cajun spice or shawarma spice), just to keep the proportions right.
    And for baking.

10. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I always measure scrupulously when baking something --especially the first time I make it. And when I'm doing spice rubs or marinades, I like guidelines for proportions although I almost always double the garlic! Rice and grains I always measure--and still often end up with sticky or undercooked rice. I think I need a rice cooker but have no room for one. Coffee--I always measure my coffee, A disappointing cup of coffee is so, well...disappointing. I don't think I've ever measured the amount of oil I put in a pan to sweat or saute aromatics.

11. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    "...I almost always double the garlic!"

Isn't that the way everybody cooks?

Well, except for the "almost" part.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smiles.gif

Mike

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I usually double garlic, double ginger, double fish sauce, double everything pretty much. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

13. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I tend to drive a lot of my friends nuts when they ask me for a recipe. "Man, that was tasty, got a recipe" - "Yeah, well you take this, this and this..." - "How much of it?" - "Hm, well, enough that it tastes right": 

Outside of baking or certain desserts, I do everything to taste and measure nothing.

14. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have found that many people can not cook without a recipe in front of them.

They can not conceive cooking without measuring ingredients just as written. 

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I double the garlic even if the recipe calls for no garlic.  

When I look for new recipes I read only the ingredient list and skim through the instructions.  I figure that if I'm familiar with the technique I know which order the ingredients need to go in.

It goes without saying that in a recipe where the chemistry needs to work out there needs to be measuring, like baking and grains sometimes.  I don't even measure with rice, just cook it like pasta most of the time.  Sometimes however you can get away with ratios like bechamel, spice mixes etc.

There is also nothing wrong with measuring or with following recipes.  It's great when people start out cooking and shouldn't feel discouraged to do so.  I prefer when watching a cooking program though to see a chef cooking without strict measurements like Jamie Oliver.  I can imagine though that someone else that's never made a pasta dish for example would feel overwhelmed by his movements and be made to feel like they can't do it themselves.  Luckily his printed recipes do include measurements.

I also find it annoying when recipes or tv cookies measure certain ingredients such as one cup full of onion, one tbsp of minced garlic, 3/4 cup of diced celery...  what?  I measure by whole produce not tbsp and cups of grated portions of produce.

16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If the recipe calls for one tablespoon of minced garlic and the cloves I used generate one and a quarter tablespoons, of course I throw the excess into the dumpster.  Honest, trust me, would I lie to you?

17. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Only double the garlic? I tripl eit or more if it is for just myself. I am a serious garlic freak, I will sprinkle a little salt on a slice and eat it raw.

18. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    MaryB-

You and I should get together, nibble a little garlic and breathe on each other /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

Mike

Well, as long as our spouses don't find out

19. jaycobb1045

jaycobb1045

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As a home cook, I have developed a system that is a sort of hybrid of the approaches mentioned so far in this thread.  Whenever I'm making a dish for the very first time, I research several recipes for the same dish to get a feel for what is going on in the dish.  Then I pick just one recipe from a trusted source.  Then I do follow it to the letter, but just the very first time.  I find that doing so gives me a baseline of what at least one person thinks the "standard" is for this dish.  After that, whenever I'm repeating the dish or coming up with my own variations on it, that's when I double the chiles, triple the garlic, etc.  

Aside from that most of the time I'm just eyeballing things to what feels or tastes right.  A few exceptions as mentioned previously in the thread are spice rubs, marinades, pickling spice, and things like that where I've come up with what I think is the "perfect" balance after repeated tries.  Then it's just easier to go down the list.

20. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    It depends.  If one is a novice, a video or following a specific recipe is important/helpful.  When I try a new dish, I read through the ingredients & method, & may or may not make my own changes.  I look at a recipe as a formula, in achieving the proper result - what the recipe is trying to achieve/the desired outcome.  Baking, for me, is a different ball game - very precise. I do make my own adjustments when it comes to adding salt & pepper.  I have noticed, now, that more & more "recipes" say "to taste."  Re the sweating onions - how much onion, what kind of cookware, what kind of oil, heat temp, & on & on.  Once, one has the basics down, one can change it up however one likes, IMO.