mead

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by momoreg, Jan 26, 2001.

1. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My husband and I were given a bottle of mead as a wedding gift. Apparently it's good luck to drink it on each day of your honeymoon. I've only tried it once, and I don't remember liking it much, so I chose not to lug it on a plane to Africa.

But it's been sitting on the wine rack for a while now, and I don't know what I can do with it. Other than use it as a toilet bowl cleaner. No really, do you think it would be good mixed into a cocktail or something?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wow, haven't heard of Mead in a while.
    if you like honey,water and yeast it's the beverage for you. I have never had it.
    I believe it is flavored with herbs or flowers and is a beverage from biblical times.momoreg just drink it and report back to us
    cc

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Well, I've had it. Not this particular label, but I did have it in England a couple of years ago. Yes, it tastes like honey. It's not bad, I just don't think it's that good. Know what I mean? I just can't hink of any reason to pop open the bottle and start sipping it when there are so many better things to sip. I suppose I could use it in a dessert.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Poach some fruit in it and make it into a syrup and make a mead baklava [​IMG]
    cc

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yum.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love Mead!!! It is one of the oldest drinks known to mankind. It outdates wine and archelogists disagree on whether beer or mead was the first beverage that man fermented. The "honeymoon" was named for mead which was thought to bring good luck if drunk for 1 month by the newlywed couple. It was also thought to help induce fertility. I have brewed a number of meads, in fact I have 2 bottles left of a lavender flavored mead I brewed over 5 years ago. Popped a bottle last year and it was great!! It is definately an acquired taste. But there are a number of meads on the market again. The best seem to come from England, though there are a few breweries in the US that are making a decent mead.