Me again....This is about proofing bread

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by rocio, Jun 20, 2005.

1. rocio

rocio

Hi all!
    I´ve got yet another question. I tried my instant yeast, leaving the dough in the refrigerator for the first rise (by serendipity, I didn´t intend to do it), and made a wonderful, tasty, soft interior and crunchy exterior potato bread. It was really really good....However, there is something that bothers me. After I rise my bread, punch it down, give it a rest and shape it, I put it in a baking sheet to proof. I´ve done twice round loafs, but the thing is that when they grow the second time, they really don´t rise as much as they grow to the sides, leaving a somewhat flat bread. I´d like to make a round loaf which I can fill later with a mix of cheeses or chocolate, so it has to have some depth. Can I use a cake pan, like a springform so my bread keeps in place? If so, do I have to butter it or it´s enough with some flour?
    Thanks again, everybody!
    Rocio :chef:

2. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Bread making requires a lot more technique then most people realize. This includes how your round up your bread dough, the end product is usually a perky loaf or bun with a smooth top. Doing so will also force the dough to tightly wrap the sides and go underneath. Its hard to discribe this technique of rounding up but its exactly how it sounds.

Good luck with your bread making.

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    As Headless pointed out, shaping loaves requires a little more thought, and technique, than you might think. If you don't develop the surface tension she decribes the loaf will spread as gravity takes over.

The trick with round loaves is to pull with one hand while pushing with the other, while maintaining a fair amount of downward pressure. You shuold be able to feel the boule tighten after a few turns. Think of it like a steering wheel. If you have your hands on the wheel at 3 & 9 and you want to take a left, you push up with your right hand and pull down with your left. Don't forget the downward pressure :)

Another thing that can help is giving the loaves a little structure as they proof, some kid of basket. It doesn't have to be a fancy banneton type. It can be a cheap colander lined with a well floured pastry cloth.

[​IMG]