mc-donalds fries

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I tried doing them myself but they just dont taste the same! Is it the potato or the oil or the method that givens then there individual taste?
Shure that potatos and oil taste great when making big fat chunky chips, but not long and thin fries

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
In the US they require the 0otato to have a particular sugar content. And they have a specialized oil. For a long time it had beef tallow in the oil, but they switched that out in 1990 with rise of .trans fat fears. They added a "beef" flavor for a while. Theyve switched oils a few times since then as well. There are probably other regional tweaks used depending on the market.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
so if its in the oil then
Can you recommend any suitable oil that one could use that would come close?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I consulted the oracle -
https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/mcdonalds-reveals-beloved-fries-made/story?id=28382592#:~:text=McDonald's%20not%20only%20fries%20the,the%20quality%20of%20the%20oil

"Next, the fries are dried and partially fried to ensure a crisp exterior. McDonald’s not only fries the potatoes in a mix of oils – canola, soybean and hydrogenated soybean – but also adds natural beef flavor derived from beef fat that contains wheat and milk derivatives for flavor, citric acid for preservation and dimethylpolysiloxane to reduce oil foaming and extend the quality of the oil life, according to McDonald’s.

The only thing to note about the beef fat for Fear is that it makes the French fries no long vegetarian, and for those with wheat or milk allergies, the fries could trigger reactions."

Kind of takes the fun out of them knowing that - since I'm allergic to soy, peanut and most other legumes.

Joined Jan 7, 2021
Our World Famous Fries® are made with premium potatoes such as the Russet Burbank and the Shepody. With 0g of trans fat per labeled serving, these epic fries are crispy and golden on the outside and fluffy on the inside. ... Grab our World Famous Fries® and pair with one of our classic McDonald's Burgers today!

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I know you were asking about making your own but just chiming in on a product that I think is REALLY close and works well both in the oven as well as an air fryer. They cook very quickly too because of how thin they are.

crispyfries.jpg

Top Bottom