Mayonnaise- Can't get it right! Please help

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by quince, Aug 29, 2013.

1. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I make it by hand all the time, even with yolks right out of the fridge.  The oil has to be room temp, but who's isn't?  I always add a bit of mustard and for me, the beating of the yolks initially with the other ingredients before any oil goes in should get the emulsion going and there's no problem adding the oil.  It's always thickened, never broken and no more than 1/2 cup oil per yolk.

Also, after watching the video of Jacques Pepin on the page below making mayonnaise, I realized that the "drop by drop" was a myth and I can whip it up in no time by hand.  He adds it in big glugs and it emulsifies perfectly.  Also, to watch him purposely break it and fix it is like watching Dumbledore battle Voldemort.

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/how-to-make-mayonnaise#video

I also agree with @ChrisBelgium   that all olive oil makes a bitter mayonnaise.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Jin likes this.
  2. Big Dave

Big Dave

Exp:
    My apologies for bringing up a thread so old, but I had to reply. I was having the same issue. NO MATTER what I did, NO MATTER what the ingredients I used, I just couldn't get the mayo to thicken up. Honestly, I began to feel inept. Then the light bulb came on. It's not the ingredients... It's the technique I was using. I was using an immersion/hand held blender, but it was in a large bowl. That's not going to work for obvious reasons (there's too much space and it doesn't have the action necessary to get all the air in the mixture). So, like some posters said previously, you need to use a slender jar. My immersion blender didn't come with one, so I used an old mayo jar. It works flawlessly now.

Being quite a few years since the original post, i'm not sure the OP will read this, but if YOU find yourself in the same position as myself, just use an immersion blender with a slender jar. It will work every time.

Jin likes this.
  3. Jin

Jin

Exp:
    Line cook
    Watch the heat, make sure its not too hot. Also I think Over blending will undo the process!