May 2021 Challenge: Spicy!

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I was worried about alienating some folk with sensitive palettes on this challenge, but with the current Spicy trends and the success of the Hot Ones show, I figured I’d dare to put it out there. It doesn’t have to burn your face off, but it needs to make your tongue tickle. I know we have done Chili Peppers before, but we never did a strictly spicy challenge. So, let’s see your wings, curries, Thai, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Middle Eastern to break out a little sweat. Making your own hot sauce would be a good bonus.

Here are the rules:

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Oh boy,this could be a good one! Had Jamaican jerk on my mind the other day. And want to make another batch of spicy Cajun tasso, and Nashville hot and Carolina dipped and Szechaun tofu and ....

mjb.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Super Spicy food was partially a machismo thing in my 20s and then grew into a necessity. In college lived in a house with about 15 other guys. We had small fridges in our rooms but also had a few large ones to share. The only way I could keep my food from being pilfered was to make it so spicy that no one dared touch it. I developed quite the tolerance.
Years later in the mid 90s, I move to Santa Clara, CA and got a job in a “California Healthy” Restaurant. I had worked almost exclusively Italian prior and never crossed the Mississippi until I moved there. So my knowledge of Mexican food was limited. The entire kitchen was Mexican aside from me and a guy from Iran.

After seeing me use a lot of hot sauce and ordering things spicy, the day sous came up to me one day with a habanero. He said “ You like spicy, try this”. I grabbed it to pop in my mouth and the whole kitchen gasped and he immediately said “No! Don’t eat that. That’s too hot. It was a joke”.

I looked him in the eye and said” Is it too hot for you?” He thought for a minute and replied “Yes”

I popped it in my mouth right there staring into his eyes as I chewed and swallowed. I then asked for another. He hesitantly obliged and I powered the next one down.

That was probably the most painful shift I ever worked, but from then on I had the love and respect of the entire kitchen. (And a deep seated love for hardcore spicy)

Joined May 28, 2015
I popped it in my mouth right there staring into his eyes as I chewed and swallowed. I then asked for another. He hesitantly obliged and I powered the next one down.

I completely get this. I once went to an Indian restaurant and asked for the hottest Phal they could make. The chef was looking in from the kitchen as I ate it, in apprehension. It was hot, yes. OK it was very hot! I can do hot...

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I’ll start. The whole story behind Nashville hot chicken amused me probably more than it should have. However, it made me take a deep dive into the dish. Bone in/ Skin on Chicken is definitely the way to go. Thigh is the best, but sometimes you have to bend to your audience. Nashville Hot Wings.
Brine of Pickle juice, Tabasco, Buttermilk. 8 hours
E3057FFC-4C58-437A-924D-9146872E86A7.jpeg

AP Flour with Cayenne, Onion, Garlic, S&P

C4F02015-5AF5-4F9C-BD2B-D1A740BD3C0D.jpeg 03161791-C38C-4153-8069-7A2C4630D037.jpeg
Egg, buttermilk wash. Back in flour. Fried. I missed the picture of the Nashville Hot part It is Brown sugar and a ton of cayenne mixed with some of the cooking oil whisked and heated to melt sugar
Toss fried wings. Mind Blowing.
3A0D6891-1D3B-4741-8E0A-A007289B006C.jpeg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Hot Ones can be a fun show - the Gordon Ramsay one was hilarious - what a woos cake!!! Neil DeGras Tyson on the other hand was like cool hand Luke.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Hot Ones is fun to watch.

Many years ago I was working as a land surveyor. We had one job dividing up a big ranch into smaller homesite parcels. It was a long drive from Salt Lake, so we tried camping out on site rather than spending time driving back and forth every day. One night I made chili. I used a fair number of dried cayenne peppers in it, leaving them whole. While serving it up I pulled one out and said to the guys "You probably don't want to eat these, quite hot."

One guy of course had to be Mr. Macho and made a show of eating several of them. Next morning I unzip the tent door and take a look outside. The first thing I see is Mr. Macho heading into the woods. He sees me, takes the roll of toilet paper in his hand, shakes it at me and proclaims "Damn you, Bradakis!"

Hee hee.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Good theme!
Should give 31 entries for this month :) :)
Well, bit less as I will be having left overs.

Years ago, I went to get some shoarma, and on the counter are some sauces for people to add (our shoarma comes in something resembling naan bread, cut open). There is garlic sauce, tomato ketchup and sambal oelek, but they are not marked. So I go and put sambal. I can see them watching, thinking: ah, we got another one that is mistaking the sambal for tomato sauce. So I put another spoonful. Take a bite, add a bit more and all I see are very disappointed faces ;)
Love my hot stuff

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Hmmm . . . I'm a fan of chili flavor, but have lost my tolerance for the heat. My wife can't eat hot things at all so after 30yrs. I've learned to dumb down.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Hmmm . . . I'm a fan of chili flavor, but have lost my tolerance for the heat. My wife can't eat hot things at all so after 30yrs. I've learned to dumb down.
I was a little worried about that fact coming up from people, but I would say that I’m not actually tasting the dish. Make anything that normally would be spicy and calm it to your taste preference. For example: Last night on my Nashville Hot Chicken, instead of a quarter cup of cayenne, you could have used a quarter teaspoon. Still had the ingredient and we can imagine it to the spice level we desire.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
This needed to be a thing 4 months ago.. since then I smoked carolina reaper and naga viper peppers to make a chili powder that is delicious on cheese.. then used that powder to make homemade reaper dill pickle chips! I'll try to get something posted.. got a few hot heads in my family

Joined Apr 25, 2011
This needed to be a thing 4 months ago.. since then I smoked carolina reaper and naga viper peppers to make a chili powder that is delicious on cheese.. then used that powder to make homemade reaper dill pickle chips! I'll try to get something posted.. got a few hot heads in my family
You have my full attention!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Next simple dish: sambal oelek (or ulek)
Probably the most basic of Indonesian sambals.
Just chili's pounded with salt. Some say with a little vinegar, but that's debatable
IMG_20210504_160801.jpg
IMG_20210504_161014.jpg

And some bonus pictures for the spicy theme :)
Drying chili:
IMG_20210504_160714.jpg
Some more chili stuff
IMG_20210504_160731.jpg

Top Bottom