MAY 2020 Challenge - Out of the freezer

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Congrats morning glory! Great job as always.

Finished the chicken gumbo. From the freezer came more of the cooked chicken breast rescued from the neighbors dying freezer, okra, and chicken stock. Started by making a dark roux and that was chocolate colored. Threw in the holy trinity of onions, celery, and peppers (used pasilla instead of bell) and garlic. Continued cooking and scraping the browned goodies from the bottom for about 20 minutes. Added the stock and seasonings and simmered about 45 minutes. Added the okra and collard greens. Cooked about 5 minutes and added corn and black eyed peas. Cooked about 5 minutes and added the chicken. Stirred and turned off heat. Let sit 5 minutes and served over brown rice. topped with chopped celery leaves.

freezer challenge 053120.jpg

Joined May 28, 2015
I’m finding this to be a difficult decision. But a decision must be made and here it is. One submission impressed me with its simplicity and beauty... and I can only image how good it tasted.

Congratulations MORNING GLORY. I select you as the winner of the May 2020 Challenge and look forward to your theme for June!
I was seriously not expecting this. There were some really fantastic submissions this time round. Blimey - I will have to think.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Perhaps I can help you out... I have a pair of yellow socks that looks similar to ears of corn... and a can of tuna waiting to be emptied!
Oh man, I already have a picture worked out in my mind... but I don't have near the plating and photography skills of morning glory, so no pic for now... but then I have been known to do stupider things, so who knows? :~)

Top Bottom